Prologue: Just Being Myself

Start from the beginning

Jim: "Wow. So many people want to get some food as well. Looks like Pauli's are really busy today." (Barbara looks at the long line as she took off her headphones.)

Barbara: "Wow, that is a lot of people. Maybe it's because it's summer time and people want to get a bite to eat, so they can be satisfied and have a really fun summer."

Jim: "You're right, Babs. I think you're absolutely right." (Barbara crossed her arms and crossed her legs.)

Barbara: "Of course I'm right, dad! It's summer!"

Jim: "That is true."

Barbara: "And I love you!"

Jim: "That is also true." (Barbara was laughing at him and Jim made a silly face in the rear view mirror. The traffic finally moved and Jim parked his car in the parking lot.)

Jim: "Here we are. Pauli's Diner."

Barbara: "Finally. I can get a burger to eat."

Jim: "And I can get my chicken salad. Let's go inside." (Barbara got out of the car and Jim opened the door for Barbara.)

Barbara: "Thanks, dad."

Jim: "You're welcome." (Barbara found a booth for both of them to sit. Jim sat across from her.)

Jim: "Are you excited to go to college?"

Barbara: "Oh, yeah. I can't wait till I do."

Jim: "That's good. Excitement is a good thing to have." (He strokes his mustache as Barbara thought in her mind of what she wants to do when she gets out. It came to her mind as quick as a lightning bolt. She started to twiddle with her thumbs on the table.)

Barbara: "Hey, uh, dad?"

Jim: "What is it, honey?"

Barbara: "I was thinking of...when I get out of college or somehow when I'm almost done with it..."

Jim: "Go on, Babs. Say what you want to say." (Barbara took in a deep breath and closed her eyes to make sure whatever she says will confirm it.)

Barbara: "Okay. Dad, I want to be a part of the police business just like you."

Jim: "Honey, that's a really big task and it's risky. I don't want you to arrest savage, mean and disgusting criminals."

Barbara: "That's why you got my back if anything like that goes wrong."

Jim: "But still, honey. I don't want you to be a part of the police team." (Barbara's smile begins to frown and became a little sad.)

Barbara: "What? Why not?" (Jim held her hands tightly.)

Jim: "Because I don't want my daughter to be hurt. It's something that I can never handle. You saw what happened when your mother left. I couldn't bear to see her go, not you too, Babes. It's too dangerous and besides you're too sweet and kind to be doing police work. We need firm and aggressive officers that are willing to take part of the job. You're only sixteen, they won't accept that. I'm sorry, but that's my final answer." (Barbara looks down and sighed.)

Barbara: "No, I get it. I understand, dad. It's not a job for a sixteen year old like me to do police work like you do."

Jim: "That's my girl." (A waitress named Sharon Jones came up to Barbara and Jim with a pencil in notepad in hand.)

Sharon: "Hello, my name is Sharon and I'll be your..." (She noticed Jim and smiled at him.)

Sharon: "Well, well, well. Commissioner. It's been a while since I seen you."