Prologue.

The violent pitter-patter of the rain swallowed me as I ran, ran for my life. Adrenaline pumped through my legs, urging them to keep going no matter what. My heart thudded loudly against my long since soaked yellow sweater, only reminding me of how terrified I am for running. I succumbed to my insisting paranoia and peeked over my trench coat covered shoulder for any sign that I was being followed. When the road behind me was clear, I shook my head trying to clear all negative thoughts, and turned back around, continuing on my long-awaited trek. 

The mud formed from the rain and dirt beneath me sloshed against my boots, staining the bottoms of my worn out jeans, with every pounding of my feet. My short, brown hair clung to my wet face, making it almost impossible to see, but that didn't matter. I had to keep going. Thunder rumbled dangerously over head as a fast approaching storm smothered the sky. Lightning flashed, shedding little light on a nearby sign that read: HOLMES CHAPEL, 1 KILOMETER. Almost there. I kept up my pace, no intentions of stopping until I found some sort of shelter, and food. It had been nearly three days since I'd last eaten. It hadn't been much, just a measly biscuit I'd managed to steal from the kitchen before I left. 

Every part of me ached, heaving and gasping for air, as I came to a stop in front of a small bakery. I grabbed the loose change in my pocket and pulled it out, counting it and hoping it was enough for something. I pulled open the door, causing the bell to jingle and everyone's eyes to land on me. I looked away and wandered to the counter, staring up at the menu. I took a deep breath and squeezed my eyes shut. I was safe, for now, but I wasn't far enough yet. He's probably already realized I've left and has now begun searching for me. There's no telling how far behind he is, he could be right on my tracks, and that's what scared me the most.