Chapter 8 - The Devil in Horn-rimmed Glasses

Start from the beginning

"I know that had to have stung...but you know that marriage won't last and you'd never want strapped to that man the rest of your life. No ma'am...Noelle Dubois you are destined for a much much better man."

Noelle didnt know if that was true anymore. She didn't know if there would ever be a man in her life again, let alone a better man. She started to even doubt that book she's written, maybe it's all poppycock.

"Can we talk about something else? What did Santa bring you?" Noelle asked.

"Santa brought me a telephone call with my best friend." Marissa tried to be more delicate with her.

"Don't...your gonna make me cry." The problem was, Noelle was already crying...hard.

"Noelle...honey you know that man is so not worth it. You know that don't you? Just think of the mess that poor woman that he married is gonna be in one day. He is a dog."

"I know. I know...that's not it." Noelle started to cave and wanted to share about Prince. "I ju- just I mee me et someone." She tried to say in between tears.

Marissa completely misunderstood Noelle through her tears, sighs and gasps. "Oh honey you'll meet someone. Didn't you like Gabriel? He thinks you are so pretty and funny and smart. I told him - I know. Did you know he's reading your book while you're gone. Oh love...it'll happen and when you find it, even if it's not Gabriel, you'll find someone else and when you do I swear it will go BOOM! I just know it."

"Ma Marissa..."

"Yes doll."

"I waa waaa waas saaay in I me mettt sommm s ummm one."

"Just a second Noelle." She could hear Donovan in the background. "Honey Donovan's mom is looking for an extra blanket. Can I call you right back?"

Taking a couple deep breaths. "I- I'm fine. You go. I'm just gonna take a quick nap and maybe I'll get out for dinner and then I need to go to bed early."

"Are you sure? You know I Wann a talk to ya."

"Yeah I am. I love you. I'm positive. Tell Donovan and the kids Merry Christmas from me. Bye."

After hanging up the phone, she sat biting her nail something she hadn't done since she was a little girl to tender her stress. Leaning back in her chair and wondered how this went all wrong. Why was Prince asking questions about Gabriel? Plus being so judgmental of me didn't help things.

There was a knock at the door "Housekeeping."

Upon opening it, the woman asked "Is this a good time for me to make up your room?"

"Absolutely. I'll just step out for a bit." Snatching her phone, purse, coat and notebook, she headed downstairs and out into the brisk air. It actually cleared her head a bit. The whole check right after an intimate encounter with him felt whorish now.

This is exactly why she's shyed away from relationships since Jack. Things were always complicated, too many men had baggage and Prince was riddled with baggage. Ex-wives, too many women to count, business crossing over to personal and vice versa...it's all too complicated. I don't need complicated. I've had that. I need simple...ordinary.

It seemed like Noelle had walked the streets aimlessly and for too long. In fact so long that the overcast day was fast turning into night so she turned around and flagged a cab back to her hotel.

The lobby was crowded once again with hoards of people, kids screaming and adults with too much spirits in them. As the elevator rose, quiet encompassed her and Noelle sought refuge from the clatter in her room.