Chapter 4

Hold Your Breath

Chapter 4

I woke up to sunlight filtering through my see-through black curtains. I looked over to my night stand and saw my clock telling me it was only 8 o'clock. I grabbed my pillow and rolled it over my head.

"Ughhh," I complained.

I was still really tired and it was Saturday morning. Sadly, I couldn't go back to sleep so I moved my pillow and stared at the ceiling. My light yellow colored walls gave me a really cozy feeling. I was almost falling asleep again, when it hit me.

Last night. The pier. Nathan. Caleb yelling. The sharp waves. The ambulance. The hospital. My ankle. My mom. Nathan telling me goodnight. I sat up, rubbing my eyes. I reached down my leg and touched my ankle. It was slightly swollen, and I winced at my rough touch.

I slowly got out of bed, and walked over to my dresser. I looked like a mess. My hair, once in a braid last night, was falling out of the elastic, and my eyes had dark circles underneath them. I also smelled like salt water. I took a long shower a few minutes later. Feeling refreshed, I dried my hair, and put on a turquoise tank top with matching flower earrings and white capris. I felt better already.

I walked into the kitchen, and saw my mom making waffles in our waffle maker.

"Morning, Mom," I said, taking a seat at the kitchen table.

"Morning sweetie," she said nervously.

She turned around to look at me.

"Listen, Anna, I owe you an apology about last night. I misjudged the situation and I'm really sorry."

I nodded, understanding what she was saying.

"It's okay, Mom. I know you wouldn't have if you knew what was going to happen."

She rushed over and pulled me into a tight hug.

"I love you sweetie."

"I love you, too, Mom," I said, grinning over her shoulder. "Um, Mom?"

"Yes?"

"I think your waffle's burning."

The waffle was burning, but after cleaning it up, my mom and I enjoyed a nice breakfast of chocolate chip waffles, my favorite. After breakfast, I went back to my room to finish reading The Reckoning. I had read a couple of pages when I got a text. I checked my messages.

Nathan ☺️: You up for that date today?

I texted back a quick, "Yes! I'd love that." A short 10 minutes later, Nathan's car pulled in my drive way. I told my Mom I'd text her when we got wherever we were going, gave her a hug, and walked out to the driveway. I walked over to the passenger side door and climbed in.

"Hey stranger," I said after pulling on my seatbelt.

Nathan smiled.

"Hey yourself."

I laughed as Nathan backed out of my driveway and started down the street.

"So, where are we going on our date?" I asked excitedly.

"That is a secret," Nathan said, glancing my way. "How are you?"

I shrugged.

"Okay, I guess. My ankle's just a bit swollen, but other than that I'm fine."

"Good," Nathan mumbled.

I looked out the window, and saw we were heading into town. The car started to slow as we came to an old ice-creamery. Nathan got out, and opened my door for me.

"Thank you," I said politely.

"You're welcome," Nathan responded.

We walked in together. They had a huge variety of ice cream: strawberry, turtle tracks, rainbow sherbet, and almost anything else you could think of. After a minute of looking, I knew exactly what I wanted.

"Two scoops of Birthday Cake ice cream in a cup, please," I told the employee behind the counter.

"I'd like a Cookies-n-Cream cone, please," Nathan ordered after me.

Much to my disagreement, Nathan paid, and we got back in his car. I assumed we would just sit in his car to eat the ice cream, but Nathan started the car and pulled out of the parking lot. I wondered where we were going, but I stayed quiet, enjoying my ice cream. It was amazing.

"A car wash?" I asked as Nathan parked.

Nathan nodded, "Just wait."

I text my mom quickly, telling her I was safe. We climbed out of the car, and I followed Nathan to hallway inside the building. What in the world, I thought. We stopped and sat at a bench about halfway down, ice cream still in hand. I looked up and saw a window on the side of the hallway opposite the bench. Bubbles and soap were covering the window, but I could see a light changing colors behind it.

I was so confused. A car wash? Did Nathan think this was romantic? Maybe it was for him, but right now, I had no idea what was going on. I stared at the window until I saw a car through the suds. It was moving slowly, for the obvious reason of this is a car wash.

I looked at Nathan. His ice cream was long gone. He must've seen the confused look on my face because he spoke up.

"It's so private, don't you think? I came here all the time when I was a kid. Me and my dad would get ice cream and just sit in here, watching cars go by," he said, then laughed. "We'd play this game of guessing which color car would come next. Stupid, huh?"

I shook my head and set my cup down on the floor next to the bench before leaning back and resting my head on his shoulder. I reached for his hand and touched it, our fingers intertwining. Nathan started making small circles on the back of my hand.

"No. It's perfect," I said.