Chapter 2

Aurora eyes grow wide in disbelief after hearing her name. She must be hearing things. She can't of been reaped, right?

The people circling around Aurora stare at her with looks of pity, but deep down, they were ecstatic to live another year. They start to squish up to the people near them as the make a small path for Aurora to get to the walkway.

"Aurora Abernathy?" Effie questions, that disgustingly happy smile still planted on her face. "Don't be shy."

Aurora keeps her eyes fixed on the ground as her legs carry her away from where she was previously standing and onto into the small walking space between the girls and the boys that leads up to the stage. Four mean in white suits, that kinda look like hazmat suits, also known as peace keepers, escort her up to the stage as she continue to be intrigued by the ground. When she finally reaches the stage, Effie holds out her hand, which Aurora doesn't take, and continues up the stairs. When she finally finished climbing the stairs, Effie puts her arm around Aurora and lead her to a spot next to where she stands. Aurora just stands there with a blank look on her emotionless face.

"Aurora Abernathy? You must be Haymitch's sister. You are his sister, right?" Effie exclaim's happily.

"Yes" Aurora replies emotionlessly.

"Do we have any volunteers?" Effie asks.

The crowd stays silent. What a surprise, Aurora thinks to herself with sarcasm. Of course no one would volunteer. Not even for a 13 year old girl. No one wants to go into the arena, so they definitely wouldn't volunteer to go into the place where they would most likely either die of starvation, dehydration, infection, exposure or they would be brutally murdered. Who would volunteer for that anyway? Not her, but she didn't have a choice to not be in the Games at the moment.

"No? Okay. Well, can we get an applause for our district 12 tribute, Aurora Abernathy!" She half yells with excitement.

How can she be so happy about a child being sent into an arena to be murdered by another child?! These sick people!  Aurora screams in her head.

The crowd stays silent once again, what a surprise.

"And now for the boys!"

Once again, Effie walks over to the boys glass ball filled with slips of paper, instead of letting her hand lingered inside the ball for a while before selecting one, this time she yanks out the first one her hand touches. She struts back to her previous position and unfolds the piece of paper.

"Nelly Waters"

Aurora's eyes scan the crowd and her eyes land on an 18 year old boy with brown hair and green eyes confidently bouncing towards the stage. He takes the spot on the opposite side of Effie than Aurora. He outstretched his hand towards Aurora and she silently took it without making eye contact. She let go of his hand and turned back toward the crowd.

"Here we are, our tributes from district 12."

Aurora decides to finally make eye contact with her brother, she turned to look at him, her eyes filled with fear even though she was acting tough on the outside, while he looked at her with eyes full of pain and sadness.

"Happy hunger games and may the odds be ever in your favour!"