Chapter 1

Aurora's feet silently glide across the grassy plains as her eyes land on her prey. She gently eased the knife out of her holder, her fingers clutched around the handle. Flawlessly, the knife jumps out of her hand and lands in the heart of the deer. A grin envelopes her face as she turns to face her older brother, Haymitch.

"Nice work A," he exclamied " but you know, we have enough money to buy the food we need".

"I know H, it's just, I like to hunt. Plus, it's kind of peaceful out here" She replies looking up at the fluffy clouds dreamily.

"We should probably get back, the reaping is in a few hours. We wouldn't want to miss it" Haymitch says the last part with sarcasm dripping from his voice. They both let out a small laugh. They would love to miss the reaping, but they would be killed if they did, or worse, sent into the arena and skip the reaping all together. Not like anyone would care, everyone in District 12 would be ecstatic.

Haymitch takes notice of the smile on Aurora's face morph into a frown.

"What is it"

Aurora looks up at her older brother with a look of fear on her face.

"What if I get reaped?"

"Don't worry Aurora. Even if you did, which you won't, you are good enough and tough enough to win it".

"Thank you Haymitch".

(-.-)(Time skip)(-.-)

Haymitch's eyes dart around the sea of teenagers as he desperately tries to spot his sister. Sure enough, his eyes lock with hers as she gave a dry smile towards her brother who is sitting on the stage in front of the crowd. They hold each other's gaze, not even realising that the video the Capitol makes you watch every year has ended.

"Now," a voice with that annoying capital accent rings through the open space filled with teenagers. Aurora breaks her gaze from her brother as her eyes flicker up to district 12's new escort, Effie Trinket.

"The time has come for us to select one courageous young man and one courageous young woman for the honour of representing district 12 in the 51st annual Hunger Games!" She continues with a smile plastered on her face.

"As usual, ladies first".

Aurora's palms get coated in a layer of sweat and her heartbeat increases as Effie's hand searches around the glass bowl to choose the name of the poor girl that will be sentenced to death inside the merciless arena.

Aurora briefly looks up at her brother as he gives her a slight nod of condolence, but she looks away almost instantly, not being able to hold his gaze due to the butterflies howling inside her.

Effie finally decides on which slip of paper to choose, and pulls it out before swiftly returning to her spot in front of the microphone that looks out over all the children in district 12. She elegantly opens up the slip of paper, quickly looking around, still with that disgustingly happy smile plastered on her face. She clears her throat, before reading the words that would most likely end some poor girl's life.

"Aurora Abernathy"