CHAPTER 34-The Battle of The Tartan Tower

The price I am paying for following my dream is that every morning I discover an ugly face in the mirror. And that face is mine. 

Can a pure idea have a corrupt champion?

LoG, 86

"We must attack now," the hasty whisper that belonged to Prince Borna reached Squinty. She was standing in the shadowy corner of The Leader's tent, basking in her invisibility. Borna seemed more nervous than usual. Huge beads of sweat rolled down his face. 

They looked like cheap pearls falling off of a broken necklace.

"My Leader, if I may," Wolfgrik mumbled under his breath.

 Borna just nodded, still staring at the dry parchment.

The gigantic one-eyed man scratched the back of his head and said: "We have two thousand good men. But ... Me scouts have reported that there are five hundreds of them in that tower. That's a lot. And ... they have many archers. They could easily pick us off one by one. Those fucktards from Begi sent them food and provisions, sure. But they don't have water. Why not wait them out? Soon enough they will be begging us to give them something to drink. Those yellow-bellied cowards will open up their gates willingly."

Wow, that's was pretty smart coming from Wolfgrik. He's got a point. I don't like him or his teaching methods, but he's right, Squinty thought.

"There is no time," Borna licked his lips and held his head between his hands for a moment. When he looked up again, a despising expression adorned his face. "Are you done?"

"My Leader?" Wolfgrik was confused.

"Are you done listing all things that could go wrong? One might wonder whether you are the one who is afraid to face the enemy."

Wolfgrik clenched his hands into fists. "I will not be called a coward by some..."

"What did you just say?" Borna hissed.

"Wolfgrik." A softer, calmer voice was heard. The Weapon Trainer calmed down immediately at Radan's voice but continued muttering to himself. 

Squinty could now hear only excerpts such as "he will call me a coward, little lordling," or "I have been in more battles than he ever will."

"Nothin'." Wolfgrik's face was unreadable. 

"That's right. Nothing." The Leader smirked. "You see, Wolfgrik ... I have a goal. Your role is to help me fulfil it. You are my Weapon Trainer, and you will obey. Or I'll find someone else who might. Don't think you're irreplaceable."

Wolfgrik nodded curtly. "Your orders, my Leader?"

"That's better. You are to order an immediate attack. Prepare the catapults. Let's bring down their walls."

"As you command, my Leader. Permission to leave?"

"I thought you'd never ask. Granted." Borna waved off the colossal fighter as if he was swatting a fly.

Radan's cautious, mellow voice inquired: "What am I to do, my Leader?"

"Radan." Borna seemed slightly surprised to see him there. The acorn man was so quiet the whole time The Leader must have completely forgotten about his presence, Squinty thought.

"Check on our cavalry. See that The War Dogs are in prime condition. Talk to The Riders."

"You haven't summoned the army of Lug to your aid. Neither have you required more War Dogs from my people for this battle," Radan noted amicably as if sharing a pleasant story with his audience.