CHAPTER 34-The Battle of The Tartan Tower

Start from the beginning

"What of it? I had no need for them. There is another army that will join my cause. Will you question my decisions now as well? Don't take me for an inexperienced child. I know what I'm doing," Borna said explanatorily as if he were somehow defending and justifying himself at the same time.

Squinty noticed he didn't take on the offensive tone he had just used with Wolfgrik. It looks like he respects Radan more.

"Of course you do," Radan reassured him jovially. Then, before leaving, he looked straight at Squinty. 

She had to stop herself from gasping out loud. He saw me. But ... How?

Borna seemed a changed man, now, when he was all alone in the tent. The mask of security fell off of him as a shell.  All that was left was a slimy, squirmy snail, wriggling for its dear life. He was sweating profusely, mumbling into his chin and pacing around the table countless times.

He keeps sweating so much. Ew. The stench is getting even to me, Squinty thought. Why is he so terrified? And is he... crying? That was so hard to believe that Squinty had to lean forward to see better.

Borna had just opened a table drawer and pulled a peculiar object out of it. His back was now turned, and Squinty eagerly came closer to discern what he held on his palm.

Sounds of the hurried soldiers' feet reverberated all around her from the outside the tent. 

I have to join them soon. If I don't, the other Vigils will notice my absence.

The spiral under her left eye started burning, and she grasped her cheek in pain. When she pulled her hand back, she was surprised to see her fingers were gaining visibility.

Maybe the pain was some kind of warning. There is a limit to this power after all.

Squinty rushed out of the tent just in time. She became visible seconds after. She was feeling ravenous as if her entire energy had been depleted.

But I must see what he was doing with that thing. And ... why was he behaving in such a strange way?

Next to the tent, there was a rack of dried meat, and Squinty hastily stuffed her mouth with it. She felt as if she couldn't draw in another breath if she didn't eat something.

There were two voices now coming from the inside the tent. One was clearly Borna's, but Squinty didn't recognise the other one at all. It had a raspy, metallic quality, and she felt goosebumps from merely hearing it. It also sounded as if it were coming from somewhere far, far away.

Is it a man or a woman speaking? I just ... Can't tell, Squinty drew closer to the cloth, almost placing an ear on it. No one was paying attention to her as the people hastily armed themselves, calling for their War Dogs. Chaos ensued in the encampment, but it was the chaos that preceded the organisation and order of the troops.

The words the voice was saying were, strangely, identical to the ones Borna had just told to Wolfgrik and Radan. Squinty couldn't help but gloat over hearing her Leader being humble and obedient.

"HAVE YOU ORDERED YOUR FORCES TO ATTACK YET? I AM GETTING IMPATIENT." The voice echoed even inside her head as Squinty tried to push it out to no avail.

"Yes, of course, my ..." Borna was now literally sobbing as far as Squinty could guess. "Everyone is at the ready. The full army force of The City of Lagad, including The Apprentices. Just like you demanded, my ... My Mind."

Wait, what? My Mind? The Mind? Is he really talking to The Mind? Damn. I wish I could see this, Squinty thought, disappointed.

"GOOD. IT WAS ABOUT TIME TOO."