Chapter 6: Maybe I'm Sorry

Start from the beginning

"I'm not following," I chimed in, growing annoyed with her short answers. 

"I'm not gay," she says firmly, "nor am I experimenting. She has a boyfriend," Summer stated, but still unsure herself. 

"She's kissing you...a lot," I added. 

Summer's blush deepen, "I don't have to explain anything, but I know I'm not gay," she stated strongly and fists the fabric of the couch. 

Summer's P.O.V. 

I watched the waves down below, the sound of them thrashing against the cliff became loud and soundless. Over and over again. Leaning more over the fence and it's blocking me from completely going over. I have a better angle this way and the waves seem more dangerous and not lovely.

"Hmm.," I spoke out loud.

The waves continued to crash roughly against the cliff wall, distant sounds of seagulls filled the air, and streaks of blue covered miles and vastly stretched ahead. A breeze brushed pass by and smells of the ocean filled the air. 

Alex, Avery's reaction, and the ocean are the only things I can think about. I have nothing else to worry about. It's summer and my parents are still gone. I sighed and briskly ran my fingers through my hair. After Alex had left, Avery had said something riveting and it turned my head upside down. 

"You, know," she had said. 

And I looked at her and raised my eyebrows questionably. 

"I can forget about my parents when I'm around you," she admitted and glanced sideways at me. 

I remembered I had flinched and snapped my eyes at her and angrily snapped at her, "don't say that!" 

Avery had calmly shrugged, "it's the truth, I completely forget about them." 

"Don't say that! You're want to remember some aspects about your parents," I explained. 

"I don't want to live in the past, I can't live in the past," she whispered. 

Huffing out irritably, "Avery, you can't simply forget about them like that. Your parents are a part of you and you gotta accept that,"  I say bluntly. 

"Why would I do that! That only makes it worse!" she yelled and pushed herself away from the fence. 

I stood there, our roles now reversed, "Avery," I calmly called out. 

"What, Summer! What could possibly make my situation any better!" she spat. 

"The pain your dealing with is just negative thoughts, bad memories, self doubt? Ever think of that?," I pointed out and I watched her sink in what I had said. 

Turning around and I looked at her and my morals were coming back. I felt what any person would feel right now. Avery looked broken and lost. Tears are forming in her eyes and some let loose and stream painfully down her cheeks. 

"I'm going," she croaked out. 

"Avery!" I called out and started following her. 

I followed her all the way outside, but she halted her steps and pushed me back. I stumbled a few feet away from her. 

"Leave me alone," she mumbled and headed toward her car. 

"Avery," I say but she's already in her car and half way down the street. 

Biting my lower lip and pushing myself away from the fence and walk back inside. I haven't heard, seen, or received any texts from Avery. Personally, I kinda care, but I barely know her that much to worry. Reaching my bedroom upstairs, I plopped down on my bed and stared at the white ceiling. Again. My cell then buzzed loudly. And out of reaction, I grabbed my cell and looked hopefully at the screen.