Chapter Two

As soon as Loic opened the door my mother was right there with her arms held open for me. I didn't hesitate to run into them. Sobs racked my body as I greived for my beloved friend. I couldn't help but see her torn body in my mind, making me cry even harder. I pulled away and turned towards the door to see Loic off but was met with empty space. I closed the door and turned back to my mother who was looking at me curiously.

"What mother?' I asked for she was no longer the caring mother who had stood at the door waiting for me to return home so that she could comfort me.

"I have found somebody for you." she said with glee.

For the past year she has been looking in the village for someone to take my hand. I must admit many boys were willing, even Loic. Most of those boys, however, never so much as sent me a kind glance. I had spent many evenings listening at the door to hear the converstation that went on just on the other side. All of the boys claimed to have always loved me, telling my mother that I was the most beautiful girl that they had ever seen. A lot of these boys even tormented me.

"Well who is it then?"

'It's Nico!" She shouts.

"WHAT?!"

I did not see that one coming. Nico was one of my top tormentors. You see he enjoyed it when he would tease and bully me until I would run home in tears. I learned from him that I was not a very strong person at all. I could barely take care of myself if not for Loic. It was odd to me that he would want to even consider marrying me, let alone actually asking my mother for my hand.

I immediatly tensed up when another knock came on our door. My mother fluffed herself up and opened the door to reveal none other than Nico himself. He entered the house and searched the room, his eyes landing on me. He took a step towards me and I took one back. His smile was kind but his eyes held that same glint that they always did.

"Would you like me to take your cloak Nico?" I asked as polietly as I could, "Or are you leaving soon?"

"WE are leaving soon. So I suggest that you get your own cloak on. Don't want you getting sick, now do we?" He said and weirdly enough he sounded like he ment it.

Even more weird he came over and got my cloak for me, helping me put it on. Then he put his arm around my waist. Not in a sexual, well actually it kinda was, gesture but more in a I love you kind of way. I was starting to get a little scared by this behaivior.

Well anyways that's how we arrived at Natalie's house, with his arm wrapped around my waist and my mother dragging behind us. I carried a candle and set it down next to Natalie, where she lay, stone cold on the table. A fresh wave of tears started as I set down the candle. Nico pulled me back into his body. He held me as I cried and choked out my pain. He only sat there with me on his lap whispering soothing this in my ear until I was only hicupping and not being hysterial.

"I'm sorry Avashly. I know that this hurts now but it will get better. I will make you happy again. i promise." Nico tells me.

He walks me home and tucks me into bed when we get there. It's like he is trying to make up for all of those years that he has been mean to me. He left for a moment and then came back up with food in his hands. He sits on the edge of my bed and feeds me by hand. It feels really creepy. When I'm done He stands up and takes the bowl downstairs. Then he returns and sits at the edge of my bed again. He looks down at me and smiles. Then he leans forward and presses a light kiss to my forhead.

Then he leaves. I am lying i my bed trying to sort it all out. My mother pretty much sold me to be with a man who has bullied me most of my life. Nico just left me there on my bed without anybody. Well that was just rude.

I lat there for a little bit longer and then decide that this won't do. I throw back the covers and slip on my cloak. i open my door and step out into the fresh air. Men and women line the streets as more come down. I stand just outside the house, looking for my mother who still has not returned home.

More men walked down the street. THey all had hard lined faces. Nico breaks off when he sees me and pulls me into a hug. He holds me for a while and then pulls back and stuffs one hand into his pocket. He pulls out something mettallic and turns it over in his hands.

"I was going to wait until our wedding to give you this but, just in case." He whispers

He then takes my hand and slips the thing onto my finger. It is just a simple metal band but it carries so much meaning. I look up at him and give a very small, cautious smile. He returns it and then, like this earlier in my house, he leans in and gives me a light kiss on the forhead. When he turned away Loic came out of the mob and over to me. He hugged ma and told me that everything would be just fine. Then just as quickly as he appeared he disapeared.

I was left standing alone when my mother arrived and forced me into the house. She sat me down nexxt to the fire and actually asked me if I was okay.  I looked at her like she had grown an extra head and in truth if she did I probably wouldn't think much of it. She looked straight into my eyes and brushed her hand against my head.  It took all of my will not to flinch back as normally she would've hit me.

After she checked my health she sent me to bed. In the morning, I wake up to my mother shaking me.

"Get up, Get up! they're back!" SHe burst as soon as I opened my eyes.

I suddenly bolted up,remembering all the events from yesterday. Nico being my betrothed, Natalie dead, The boys going to kill the beast and Nico giving me the ring. I raced out of the house as soon as I was dressed appropriatly. I stood at the edge of my house and looked at the line of men coming through the gates. Nico was at the front and he carried the Wolf's head on a stake. Many people were cheering but I was looking anxiously for any people that were missing.

The line was moving past us, headed towards the tavern. Then the end came. At the end of the line was a cart. A cart that held the worst thing possible. That cart held Loic, who stared blankly up at me as he passed. His eyes were glazed and blood poured out of his chest. THAT cart held my best friend who was now dead.