twelve; parents house

{twelve// parents house}

The smell of pancakes woke me up. I shot my eyes open and sat up in bed. My brother was sleeping on the ground next to my mattress.

"Dylan, let's go eat." I smile and walk to the kitchen avoiding my moms glare and the smoke from her cigarette she blows in my face. My eyes go to the pancakes on the counter. I reach for them but my mom smacks my hand away.

"But, I'm hungry."

"That's why im have your food right there." She nods to two plates- one for me one for Dylan. Beans, beans for breakfast. Really?

"I'm starving and all I want are some more food than beans." I groan at the growling in my stomach.

"Beans are healthier than pancakes."

"Then why do you get pancakes?"

"Oh shut up and eat you ungrateful filth."

I frown and take my plate to the table and watch as Dylan walks in, she blows smoke in his face too. What a lovely family we are, just great. Dylan sits next to me and stays quiet about his shitty breakfast.

"It isn't fair." I whisper to him and he nods. Dylan doesn't talk much. He likes to keep to himself and try's to stay out of everything.

I scoop the small amount of beans into my mouth and wash my plate in the sink, taking Dylan's once he's finished and doing the same. I begin walking back to my room before my dad yells, "Hey! Where do ya think your going?"

"To my room, I finished breakfast."

"You're finished when I tell you you're finished. Wait for us to finish our breakfast." He says laughing as he gulps down orange juice, we didn't even get a drink. His plate has four pancakes, eggs, sausage, and syrup to top it all off. My mum has the same.

"Greedy bastards." I whisper under my breath so they can't hear.

Dylan stands beside me and watches as they eat, a disgusted look on his face.

"Done."

"Okay." I say waiting for them to bring their plates here.

"Rebecca?"

"What?"

"Come get the damn plates!"

I walk over to them and snatch the plates and do the same as I did with Dylan and my plate, rinse, wash, dry, put back in the cabinets.

"May I be excused now?"

"Take out the trash." I groan at the task while I grab the trash and walk outside, still in my pajamas, and Dylan still by my side.

Once we get to the trash can and throw it out Luke comes from behind the corner.

"Hey Bec." He says hugging me.

"Dylan, what's up?" He rubs Dylan's hair.

"Nothing much." Dylan looks to the ground.

"Luke, my parents aren't in the best mood. I don't think you should come in."

"Okay, so I'll wait out here."

"Don't please, I don't want you to wait for me."

"Come on, just try to get out."

"Fine." I shrug and walk back inside.