Chapter Eighteen

Zacznij od początku

The minister asked for my veil to be raised so it can be confirmed that it was me. Taylor came around to help me pull it up and let it fall behind me. I raised my eyes to look at Ovian. He was very handsome in his grey coloured suit. His dark hair was sleeked back save for the little lock of hair that always found it's way to his forehead. 

As the minister led us to take the vows which we mumbled along with him, the two of us were busy staring into each other's eyes. Soon, he was asked to 'kiss the bride.' He placed a chaste kiss on my mouth to the applause of our many guests.

As we came down from the stage, everyone moved forward to offer their congratulations. My cheeks were kissed so many times I couldn't count. We had to leave to take pictures before we change out of our outfit into our reception clothes.

A few hours later, I was exhausted. I had danced with the king and almost all the nobles that came to the reception banquet. It was fun and people seemed genuinely happy for us or was it the food and wine? I was about to sit down when, Ovian came to claim me and pull me towards the dance floor.

"I am tired Ovian." I said, laughing as he twirled me around on the dance floor.

"You have danced with half the kingdom and forgotten your husband."

"My husband has been dancing with his share of the female folk too. You don't hear me complaining."

"Yeah right." He said

"But really, you danced with the queen?" I laughed.

He grimaced. "It will be a taboo if I didn't. It the worst three minutes of my life."

I laughed again. "I can't imagine. Poor Ovian."

"Hmmm." He grunted. We danced to a few more songs before, it was changed to something slow. Ovian took me in his arms and held me close. I leaned into him, getting a whiff of his cologne. He smelled of the woods and the ocean. I placed my head on his chest and closed my eyes. I wanted to just be with him. I wanted...

"You had better not sleep." He chuckled.

"Oh, what better excuse would you have than to carry your new bride to bed right now." I said, then realised what I said, how it sounded.

I raised my head, "I didn't mean it like that. I meant-," I stopped. Who was I trying to convince, myself or him?

"I might do just that." He said, his eyes gleaming with desire.

I looked into his eyes with the same measure of desire. "I won't stop you." I said truthfully and placed my head back on his chest.

He tensed. "Tania, my father is coming." 

I groaned as I lifted my head. "Why? He has already danced with me."

"Let's find out shall we?" He said as he pulled me close to his side.

The king walked slowly to the middle of the dance floor right next to I and Ovian and called for everyone's attention.

"I am so glad that my first son has finally settled down!" He shouted, his voice loud and clear around the quiet hall. "And so I pray that very soon we shall hear the cry of little ones!"

"Hear! Hear!" Shouted several patrons around the hall.

I placed my head on Ovian's shoulder and he held me tightly to his side. We were both smiling at the proud father. If only he knew, there were no children coming.

"And for that to happen, we have to let them go and start on that. But not before we toast to their health and prosperity." He raised his glass. And everyone lifted their glasses and chanted, 'To their health and prosperity!'