xxvi. the supermen

➠ 𝕤𝕠𝕟𝕘 𝕤𝕖𝕝𝕖𝕔𝕥𝕚𝕠𝕟: 𝕥𝕙𝕒𝕥'𝕤 𝕨𝕙𝕒𝕥 𝕚𝕥 𝕥𝕒𝕜𝕖𝕤 𝕓𝕪 𝕘𝕖𝕠𝕣𝕘𝕖 𝕙𝕒𝕣𝕣𝕚𝕤𝕠𝕟

CROWDING THE JUKEBOX, Amanda tapped her hand against the glass as she wondered which song she'd pick. Feeling her friend's eyes watching her from behind she smiled at her choice and placed the quarter into the machine in order to solidify it. Rejoining the group the eight friends had squeezed themselves into a booth in the already crowded Mel's Diner.

The booth was more so crowded with fans dropping by every now and again to ask for a signature from one of the members which they happily did even if it cut into their conversation. Noticing the blonde, Marty made space for her happily tucking her under her arm. Seeing the cherry had already been snatched from her milkshake she pointed this out to him only earning him sticking his tongue out to reveal the stem tied in a knot and rolled her eyes at the sight.

"When's the next tour then? I'm sure you boys have your predictions or else you wouldn't have invited us out," Jennifer asked the others. On the opposite side of her, Lee attempted to get a sip of her float before she was quick to slap his hand away and have him pout disappointed.

Paul straightened out, finally giving himself some space between him and Stella in order to respond. "Sometime in the fall I think? Or was it after the holidays."

"Either way," Bobby spoke to say instead, seeing as his friend was struggling to remember. "We have plenty of time until then. They want us in the studio practicing and obviously thinking of another album." 

"Always another album, never a funded vacation," Lee said, heaving a sigh for dramatics and falling into Mickey's lap.

Rolling her eyes she shoved him off to get him to sit up again. "I mean you can't blame your studio? They want you cranking out new music and showing yourselves off while you're still relevant." As she said this a younger teen came over to Marty, handing him a CD to sign which he did and gave a soft thank you before running back to show off to his own group of friends. They looked to see the teens were eagerly awaiting for their friend's arrival proudly showing off the cd for the others to look at the object wide-eyed.

The others in the booth watched this, smiling in content over their previous years together. Remembering being at that stage not so long ago the fond memories came up in heaps. The boys had known each other younger than those teens had at that point. To see the band they wanted to make be that flame for other kids they felt proud of themselves. Not only that, their friend group had lasted for so long through the fame.

"It's the endless cycle of things. A tour, an album, a tour, an album," Bobby spoke, mimicking a circle while spinning his fingers, "Eventually it'll break but for now we gotta push through while all of us still like each other."

Paul rolled his eyes at this. "We won't stop liking each other."

"Fine, until we're done. We've finished what we wanted to do and we move on happy to have seen it through," He corrected.

"Well we don't have to—" Amanda nudged Marty to interrupt his thought over cutting the band short.

"I think we can learn it didn't go so well the first time, blue," She reminded him, having Marty nod in understanding and chuckle under his breath over the reminder.

Stella waved a hand to the pair turning their attention to her instead. "Does that mean it's done then? The album?"

Amanda grinned over to her for the question. "How do you think I'd know?" The entire group gave her look to be serious as they all knew the source of inspiration for every song out of the Pinheads songbook from Marty. Tossing his hair in her hands she shrugged her shoulders as she played the act on. "He never tells me anything, I swear."

"Amy here is drawing away because she can actually join this time on tour," Marty mentioned.

Immediately this drew the attention of the others as she tried to lower their excitement. "There's no guarantee, I could be working straight after graduation."

Having told her boyfriend she'd be finishing up with university by May he was more than thrilled to hear the news. Assuming, however, she was going to up and follow him around the minute she had the chance wasn't exactly her type of thing. Amanda had a deep love for Marty but also understood the importance of having a life separate from him. He understood this to some extent as well; though one could remember at what costs it took him to get there.

Lee groaned over this. "Oh don't keep yourself in a lab. You should go out and celebrate," He mentioned.

"You've barely come out to the shows other than the ones closet to home anyways," Bobby continued as she smiled over to her friend. He shrugged casually over what was to come next. "Sure we'll put on a better show for it."

Exchanging a glance over to Marty before looking at the others she raised her hands with a smile. "I can't guarantee but I'll think about it." The boys let out a small cheer over this for Amanda to not help but laugh at their enthusiasm.

Jennifer looked over to her amused by their reactions. "You've gone and given them hope, you're screwed now," She told her with a laugh.

"All those songs about you. You're just bragging to everyone now by being the groupie girlfriend," Mickey told her, "So, actually, you can just hide away with me in New York at the MTV studio."

"Nice try, she's my wife, McDonald," Marty said defensively.

"I'm not your wife?"

"That can be changed." Shoving him with a smile over the suggestion the group continued on with their time together. Knowing there was more to come with their schedules, they left the night with plans to see each other again soon.