xiii. dancing with the big boys

➠ 𝕤𝕠𝕟𝕘 𝕤𝕖𝕝𝕖𝕔𝕥𝕚𝕠𝕟: 𝕠𝕟𝕖 𝕕𝕒𝕪 𝕒𝕥 𝕒 𝕥𝕚𝕞𝕖 𝕓𝕪 𝕖𝕝𝕥𝕠𝕟 𝕛𝕠𝕙𝕟

AS THE TRIO sat in the booth the Doc continued to stare out into space rather in shock. Amanda and Marty had been unable to break him out of his coma, having ordered a cup of coffee for the scientist in the hopes to break him out of his state. She nudged the boy beside her in worry after a few more moments of waiting. "I don't think we're getting outta here anytime soon."

"Wouldn't be the first time someone's hijacked the Delorean." Marty shrugged, maintaining his cool despite his desire to panic being ever present. "It'll be fine." He watched her sip her own black coffee and looking out the window of the college town.

She was Amanda, somewhere in there. If Marty was being honest with himself he was hoping that would come out now. She'd be able to help them out of this situation they had gotten into. Amanda probably would've handled everything on her own by now and they'd be back to how they were...

Marty recalled their brief encounter just before she disappeared. How he had hoped that what they had was still there between them. After what had happened Amanda seemed reluctant to be anywhere near him. Had it not been for the wedding and them being together in the same room, who knows whether they would have reconnected at all. He hated that they were pretending to be strangers. Everything now felt wrong.

"So what was it that happened? You said it was because of something that happened between us and you never actually said what?" He looked over to her surprised, staring at her being so intuitive. In actuality Amanda only asked this question out of curiosity. Thinking nothing of it other than for her own knowledge of how deep of a mess this boy was in. "I mean, do you think it has anything to do with everything now? I feel at this point really anything would help."

✧.*ೃ༄

1989

MARTY WAS in the middle of a meeting at the studio discussing an update to their contract. The subject matter was rather unimportant to him as he had been adamant on his decision, expecting to bring it up with the boys when it came down to it. Once the board executives gave them the exact details to their own lawyers the other members of the band were eager to sign on almost immediately, but were advised not to seem desperate.

Lee thought this approach was stupid, saying it rather shamefully as they were only five feet away from the meeting room when he started talking. "They're offering us another two records, a headliner tour? Why exactly aren't we signing?"

"I don't know maybe some of us would wanna slow down." The casual suggestion from Marty caused the other boys to stop in their tracks. It took him a few moments to realize this as he was a ways ahead of them before turning back in their direction confused.

Paul looked to him confused, thinking he was pulling their legs. "C'mon, you're not serious? The band has been everything we've only just started?" He shrugged over the point. "Sure, I'd love to hang around and bug Stella some more but we have so much we still wanna do? You already have enough to make another album between yours and Bobby's songs."

"Unless of course he's going solo," Lee noted to have his friend gasp as a result.

Bobby soon cut in between the two to look over to Marty for further explanation. Seeing his friend had meant this genuinely but was brushed off rather suddenly by the other two he urged him to continue his point. "How long have you been thinking about leaving?"

The boy rubbed the back of his neck nervously, not expecting to have to go over this so soon. "I don't know, for awhile I guess." He looked up to the other three and frowned in disappointment. "I just miss her? It feels wrong, all of this. I thought I would've gotten used to it, but I feel like— like maybe if I left the band I could just be with Amanda."

"So, she's more important than the band?"

"...Well, yeah?"

The three collectively were in shock by this news, though not entirely considering they knew their friend well-enough. Bobby maintained the voice of reason as the other two still held each other up over the truth in his words. "And does Amanda know? How you've been feeling?"

Marty shrugged nonchalantly. "She's so busy over at her school, I don't wanna add to her stress. If I told her I missed her so much I wanted to leave the band, she's gonna feel like I'm turning her into Yoko."

"Because you are," Paul and Lee said simultaneously for their friends to look at them sternly to then back off again.

Bobby sighed, going over to hold his shoulder tightly. "Take some more time to think on it. Maybe even talk to Amanda about it. If you still end up wanting to leave, I'll support you 100%." The other two behind them raised their hands to add onto this only for their friend to wave a hand to dismiss them. "We all will support you 100%."

Not helping to laugh over their behavior he leaned up to hug his friend tightly and nodded in agreement. "I can work with that."

✧.*ೃ༄

MARTY HAD every idea of what had happened. He had just given his Amanda the benefit of the doubt to not be as reckless as him. Her decision helped him remember what it was he wanted to do— despite the fact it cost them each other.

Marty turned over to her now. At least he pretended it was still her. "We just wanted to see the other live their dreams I think." He smiled as she seemed to listen intensively. Her eyes had gotten bigger as she hung on his words, making him recount the childish nickname. "You are just so stubborn. That's the biggest reason why we're here."

Not understanding his feelings this Amanda only scoffed and placed her cup back on the counter. "Maybe I'm not stubborn. It seems like if I did this to help you, then maybe I was doing the both of us a favor."

Suddenly the coffee opposite then lifted for the Doc to sip it slowly. He cringed over the taste, moving it to the side to face the pair in front of him in concern. "The Delorean is missing!"

"Yeah Doc, we know?"

"No! Look!" Their friend pointed behind them to the small group with several papers in their hands. Each of them were either handing out the slip or posting them up onto the pole. The picture on the sheet, however, soon sparked the attention of everyone in the group.

It was their Delorean, at least it seemed that way from the photo. The flyer promoted a science fiction literary club on campus showcasing the vehicle similar to a book they had been showcasing. Marty and the Doc exchanged a familiar look to one another over this scenario as Amanda laughed over the convenience of the situation. "We're fine, the nerds'll definitely keep it safe."

❀⊱ A/N
it's me, im the nerd. ALSO this elton song is so marty and amy rn and AGDJSHDKDN i missed them too guys im trying to get through to finishing their story 😭
~j.s.