Chapter 7

Over the next couple of weeks as the other museum inhabitants noticed Ahkmenrah, Attila and Sacagawea leaving the museum it became clear they were hardly the only ones who wanted to leave. So May, Ahkmenrah and Teddy worked out the rules for anyone who wanted to go out.

They got a map of Central Park and divided it into six sections and a sign out sheet, for name, place going and latest time back.

The Neanderthals were the only adult exhibits not allowed out under any circumstances and the miniatures were only allowed out if accompanied by someone full size. Anyone who wanted to go out had to be able to understand, and speak at least some English. Already the exhibits were showing much more interest and dedication to learning English than they ever had before.

Beyond that the rules were simple enough, no one except Ahkmenrah was allowed to go outside alone. Only four groups could go out per night, unless a previous group returned early. One group had to be back at each of the hour marks between one am and four am, giving plenty of time to go out and search for them if they were late. Anyone who was late wouldn't be allowed out of the museum again for a month. To avoid that happening each group would have at least two watches that they had to be able to read before leaving. They also had to be able to use the speed dial on cheap cell phones May had gotten for them in case of emergency. So far there hadn't been any problems, but of course that couldn't last forever.

May could hear what sounded like Attila arguing with Ahkmenrah just down the hall from her and quickened her pace. She got there just in time to see Ahkmenrah's face pale at something Attila had said.

"Okay boys, what are we fighting about now?" she asked as she walked up to them.

"I want horse to ride," Attila said holding out his hand to show her a horse that had most likely come from one of the dioramas, "He won't make bigger, I'll tell, then nothing to hide."

"If anyone else were to see him with a horse in the park they'd want to know where it came from, they'd find out either way," Ahkmenrah said, the familiar look of fear on his face.

May hated seeing him so afraid and the fact that it was something so trivial that Attila was making his threat about made something in her snap. She stepped between the two men, glaring up at Attila she fiercely said, "You will not tell anyone about what he can do with the tablet, if you do, you will never ride a horse again because I will lock you in your display for as long as I continue to work here if you do. Do you understand that?" she demanded.

Attila simply nodded his head meekly, "Good, now get out of my sight and don't you dare cause any more trouble tonight," she told him and he left without another word.

When she turned to Ahkmenrah the look of fear was gone from his face, instead he had a big smile on his face, "Has anyone ever told you, you would make a spectacular queen? You just crushed a rebellion in a matter of seconds and maintaining that calm, innocent demeanor most of the time makes it all the more striking when you take a stand," Ahkmenrah told her.

May blushed at the praise, "I just didn't like that he was threatening you."

- - - - - - - -

On her way home for work that morning May stopped at a second hand shop and broke out into a grin when she looked into a box of stuff and got a brilliant idea.

That night as soon as she was able to get Ahkmenrah alone she asked, "If you made something big at night, would it go back to being small during the day?"

"No, I could make it so it would stay full sized as long as it remained within range of the tablet. Why?" Ahkmenrah asked.

"I was just thinking about how much Attila wants a horse, it actually makes perfect sense, the Huns were exceptional horsemen. The Romans use to make fun of the Huns, saying they couldn't walk on their own feet because of the amount of time they spent on horseback. I was thinking perhaps someone could anonymously donate a horse out by the loading docks for Attila's display," she told him pulling the struggling, small felted horse she had found out of her pocket.