Silence is key

Authors note

Hello everyone! This is going to be my newest book. I am working really hard on this so please read it and tell me what you think. Thanks!! Oh an by the way the picture at the top/to the side (not the cover) is what I believe Kate to look like.

Chapter one The accident:

Everyday they play back in my head.

The memories.

They haunt my dreams, and attack my mind every moment of each day.

All of this torture started about seventeen days ago...

(Flashback)

My sister and I were in the car with my mother and father on our way to the park. My sister, Madge, was sitting beside me and my parents were in the front.

It was a half an hour drive to the park and we were about ten minuets into the trip when I decided I was going to pop in my ear buds.

I was listening to Brick By Boring Brick by Paramore when I felt my dad slam on the brakes. I looked up the see a car speed in front of us around the corner.

Then, when the car was half way through the turn, the last thing I thought was going to happen happened. The small navy blue car flipped over onto our small silver chevy impala. The small car landed directly on top of our car and slammed down the ceiling. The last thing I saw was the color red then everything went black.

I wake up to see blood everywhere and my arm crushed between the Ceiling and the middle arm rest. I do the first thing I think to do when my survival instinct kicks in. The first thing I did was pull out my head phones with my good hand and pull up my phone. I grab my phone and click 'emergency call' and dial 9-1-1 and it rings.

One ring. Two rings. Then I hear a human voice.

"9-1-1 What's your emergency?" asked a female voice.

"My name is Kate Richards and I've been in an accident. My hand is currently wedged between a car roof and an arm rest. No other bones besides the ones in my arm are broken." I replied slowly and with ease.

"Alright, just stay calm and don't move." the lady said with soothing words. I took a deep breath and I smelled a hint of gas.

"Ma'am. I need to get out of the car. I can smell a gas leak. The car is about to catch fire." I said with a slight panic.

"The police are on there way!" she replied quickly. I could hear a siren but it was too far away.

"Mum! Dad! Madge! Is everyone okay?" I yelled through the car.

"Hun. Your mother and I are okay," I hear through the front window, "now hurry and get out!" my father yelled.

"Mum, dad I need you to get away right now. The car is going to blow. Madge! I need you to answer me. Right now! Please!" I yelled.

"Hun! Get out!" My dad yelled.

I quickly unbuckle my seatbelt and look at my arm to see if I can get out. I tug out my pocket knife and undo the screws to the arm rest. After a few turns the arm rest fall about an inch and I get my arm free from the small space. I look around for a way out and I see my window. It is still perfectly in tact and I know I'm not strong enough to break it. I try to open my door using the handle but it still doesn't budge. Then I remember the small glass breaker we have in our car to use if the car goes under water and you can't get out. I reach down into the pocket on the back of the passenger seat and pull it out. I tap it against the center of the window twice and the window breaks. I quickly crawl out of the shattered window.

I am half way through the window when I feel a sharp pain in my torso, but I still keep crawling. When I finally get out a paramedic picks me up and places me on a stretcher. That's when I see it, my sister isn't there. I frantically look around for my sister, but I don't see her anywhere. That's when it dawns on me, my sister is still in the car! I start screaming my sisters name, but the paramedic try's to quiet me. I continue to scream my sisters name until I feel a sharp pain in my unbroken arm. I look down the see a needle poked into my arm and I start to feel dizzy. After a few moments of struggle I finally give into the darkness, but not until I hear a large bang. It all went dark.

I wake up to see white walls and machines surrounding me. I see unopened gifts and colorful balloons lining shelves. The scent of a bouquet of red and white roses fill my nose. That's when I see another thing I hoped to never see, an opened card that the front said

"Girls, daughters, friends, family, sisters, they are all so dear to our hearts, but it hurts when one of them leave us too early..." I reach up and grab the card. I continue reading the card," loosing a family member is as bad as it can get. I'm sorry for your loss." Then in bright pink pen it says "We will all miss you, Madge, we will never forget you."

Right after I finished reading the card my parents walked in.

"Darling, we have to tell you something." my mother said with tear stained eyes.

"She's dead isn't she." I replied with a monotone voice.

"Yes." She replied before sobbing.

(End of flashback)

That is when the silence set in. And I have no idea when I will break it, or if I ever will.