Chapter 24

Tomorrow is the trial. There is anticipation coming from all sides, even the other prisoners. For those who feel that they were wrongfully convicted too, he is the face of inspiration. For those who knew that they were convicted for a reason, he is a window of opportunity. 

Do not even bother asking which side I am on. You know the answer to that. We have not been told which side the detectives are fighting for yet, and we will not know until we step into the courtroom. 

The judge that is working the case is the same one that convicted him: Judge Nelson. Personally, I do not think that is fair, the judge who convicted him, there might be some bias there. Anyway, moving on from the judge.

Mike wants me to come to the trial. I do not know how to explain that my weak and vulnerable soul is incapable of breaching these walls. In fact, I am at a stage where it may destroy me completely. 

Michael has been transported to a holding cell, because they are in doubt of whether he is actually guilty. He is currently talking to his mother. She burst into tears at the possibility that her son might be released as early as the weekend. Her cheeks flushed a brilliant pink, and she asked if she could hug her son. The guards nodded, and he dashed out from around the glass. 

He picked up the tiny woman, and it was like watching a dance. After being separated by metal bars for six months, just the thought of getting out was enough to make Mike the happiest man in the world. 

I watched on the other side of the room, so pale that nobody noticed me. I could not see myself. But I stayed right where I was. That was when I realized what was keeping me earthbound. 

Mike was walking back into the cell. I followed silently. He washed his hands at the sink, humming quietly to himself to a song called "Crystal Chandeliers" and waltzing around, instead of his usual bored strut. 

I tried to make his joyful mood reflect onto mine, but I was still stuck with my dark, lousy disposition. Mike was too happy to notice that anything was up, something which I was grateful. Tomorrow is the big day, and the detectives told the chaplain, who told my nosy ears, that it was important to keep Mike content with the proceedings. 

Later that night, while Mike was drifting off to a peaceful, hopeful slumber, I floated, suspended in midair, pondering hard. In the end, I decided to just bite the bullet, and go. It would all be worth it in the end.