Chapter 23

'Where were you at the time of the shooting?' Detective Novak asked Mr Michael Chong, at the local precinct, on the third night before the trial was scheduled. Mr Chong spoke an honest answer willingly, a shock to any detective but this one.

' I cannot answer Sir, we only arrived after the thieves had stolen the loot.' Novak nodded with his brow furrowed, and glanced down to jot something on his clipboard, where he was taking notes.

'I see,' he said, in what he probably thought was an understanding, fatherly expression, though he really just sounded queer, like Mike was in nursery school. Lopez didn't miss a beat. 

'Why, in your words, do you think that you were reprehended with the weapon in your hands?' Lopez asked, all the while glancing at her partner, clearly telling him that his mouth should stay shut tight. 

'My pop and I was lookin' fer a bakery, to get some bread for Mum, when we heard shots from right up ahead.  We dashed to the shop just in time to see two unarmed  thugs runnin' way with hoods over their heads. I ran in, while Pop ran after 'em. I spotted the weapon lying on the ground, with two young employees lying dead on the floor, and another young woman supporting a bleeding hand, which had either been broken or shot.'

'I picked up the weapon,' Michael continued. 'to examine it, and make sure that it was not still functioning, which it was. It went off unexpectedly, and hit the ground, harming nobody, but covering my hands in gunpowder. I was still holding it when the police arrived.'

'Did you feel threatened, or excess force from your reprehending officers?' Continued Novak.  

'Not in the least,' replied Michael, with resounding confidence. 'One pinned me to the ground, though all completely understandable. No excess force. They read me my rights, then brought me here.'

Both detectives jotted something down, then glanced back at Michael Chong. This time, it was Lopez's turn to question him.

'What do you think lead you to getting convicted Mister Chong?' Lopez said, her eyes narrowed. Mike could tell that this was the question that they have been waiting to ask, this entire interview. 

'Honestly,' Mike said while scratching his head; thoroughly pondering his answer. 'I think it was the lack of evidence that I didn't do it, that got me convicted.' 

Detective Novak's eyes sprung up sharply, and narrowed. 'The way the justice system works,' he paused, waiting for a reaction, 'is you are innocent until proven guilty.' He said it with greatly confused finality, clearly indicating that this interview was suddenly headed in another direction.

'Well, they managed to convince the jury. There were no fingerprints except mine on the gun, and I had gunpowder all over my hands, which meant that I had fired it. There was no video evidence, they made that ABUNDANTLY clear.' He paused, and his tone changed to a plead. 

'Would you have convicted me?'