"Deal," December said without hesitation. He knew that his money wasn't half as long as his sister's, and he hated lying to her about paying her back. Naomi was his only sibling and he loved her and cared about her feelings, but he loved and cared about his freedom even more. The fact that she'd even agreed to help him after their entire family- including himself- disowned her caused him to feel a rare bout of guilt, but it passed quickly.

"Okay. Oh, one more thing. I'm going to find you a lawyer. I'll bring him along next time I come to see you."

"I already have a lawyer."

"I'm going to find you another lawyer, December. You're still in here because your current lawyer is doing something wrong."

"Right. Good looking out, Naomi."

"You know I got you, baby." She paused for a few seconds. "Have Mom and Dad asked about me or the kids lately?" She hadn't spoken to her parents in over ten years, and she already knew what the answer to that question would be. Her parents were too proud to admit that they were thinking about her, just like she was too proud to be the first one to reach out.

"No, but they do miss you, sis. They have pictures of you all over their house, and even some of the pictures you used to send of Natalie and Corbin. They're still waiting for you to find your way back home. But, shit, it doesn't look like you need them anymore."

"That's because I don't. And make sure you tell them that the next time you see them. If they want to talk to me, they can contact me just like you did." Naomi stood up, motioning for December to do the same. She walked around to his side of the table and pulled him into a tight hug. "Don't let it be another ten years before we see each other again. I love you, December."

He returned the hug. "I love you too," he stated honestly. He could tell that she was on the verge of tears as he placed a kiss on the top of her head. She had always been overly-emotional. "Can you do one more thing for me?"

"Of course."

"There's this place called the Clear Valley Group Home. Tamia is there with my daughter. I want you to check on them for me. Just make sure they're okay, and let Tamia know that I'll be out of here soon."

Just as he was finishing his sentence, one of the CO's walked into the room. "Naomi, my boss just got back, and I'm not trying to lose my job. You have to go, babe."

"I was just leaving." She turned towards December. "I'll do that today." Without another word, she left the room.

The CO watched her round bottom as she switched away, angering December. "Is there a reason you're looking at my baby sister like that?" he asked maliciously.

"Be easy, man. I wasn't looking at her no kind of way." The CO grinned. "It ain't like you can do anything about it, though, so there wouldn't be any harm in me admitting that I would fuck the shit out of Naomi's sexy ass. Get your ass back to your cell, Mitchell."

December clenched his jaw and walked out of the room, mentally placing the cocky CO at the top of his list of people to do away with once he was back in the streets.

***

"Tamia, someone wants to see you in the common room," Sandra, Tamia's counselor, said as she walked into her bedroom. She strolled over to Tamia's bed and sat down on it, watching as she tried to comfort her daughter, who was crying for her daddy yet again. This had become a daily routine over the three-week period that they'd been there, and Sandra was beginning to feel bad for the duo. She took Tania out of Tamia's arms and pointed towards the door. "You look like you could use a break. I'll watch her for a little while. Go find out who came to see you."