Chapter VI

"Tamia, you're fucking up my schedule. How long does it take to throw some shit in a pot and stir it around a little bit? Get your shit together, and do it within the next twenty minutes, otherwise that's yo' ass. I'm not playing with you, either," December ranted as he stormed into the kitchen, pissed to see that Tamia was still hovering over the stove. "We got a house full of hungry hoes, and you're in here acting like shit is sweet. Unless you plan on hitting the track and making up for the money I'm missing right now, you better hurry the fuck up."

Tamia dropped a few pieces of bacon into a skillet and walked over to the table to continue getting Tania prepared for the day. "First of all, December, I'm tired. Let's not forget that it was your ass that had me up all night counting money. I slept for less than two hours, so forgive me if I'm not energetic enough for you. Secondly, I am, in addition to cooking, trying to get our daughter situated, in case you couldn't see that. Third, you could actually make an effort to help me instead of complaining about little shit. I'm moving as fast as I can, so chill the fuck out."

December closed the ten-foot gap between himself and Tamia, his large hand finding its way to her neck somewhere in the process. He pushed her back against the stove and lowered his voice to a whisper. "You're lucky Tania's right there. If she wasn't, I'd probably have my foot halfway up your ass right now. I hope for your sake that your sleep deprivation caused you to say that. But, bitch, if you ever talk to me like that again, I'll-"

"Daddy, you have a phone call." Val stepped into the kitchen with the house phone in hand. She watched as December released Tamia and gave her a warning glance, and then she handed the phone to him. He snatched it out of her hand and left the kitchen. Val turned towards Tamia. "You must be out of your damn mind, talking to December like that. Y'all little girls better fall in line. He doesn't give a damn about your opinion. You'll be walking around all sad and shit when he goes upside your head."

"Who the fuck asked you, Valerie?" Tamia asked, pushing Val's hand away from her as she tried to lift her chin to observe the bruises on her neck. "Let me handle my man. You just go out and make his money."

Val chuckled and pushed Tamia away from the stove. "I'm a twenty-six-year-old woman. You're seventeen. I don't play with kids, little girl, so I'm going to ignore that comment. I'll finish cooking for you. Go take care of your child and try not to piss December off in the process. I can't save you mid-ass-whooping."

"Fuck you, Valerie. Or do you already have enough people waiting to do that today?" Tamia began walking out of the kitchen. "Tania, let's go."

Tania climbed out of her chair and started running after her mother, stopping only when she heard Val call her name. She walked back in her direction and smiled when she saw her pull a box of Oreos out of the refrigerator. Val stooped down so that they were face to face. "I feel bad for you, baby. Both of your parents are crazy as hell, especially your mama. I pray to God that you don't grow up to be like anyone in this house." She sighed and shook her head. "Sadly, you're too young to understand what I'm saying. Are you hungry?"

"Yes," Tania replied with a nod.

"Breakfast will be ready soon, but eat this for now." She handed the toddler two cookies, and laughed when Tania smiled and pulled her into a light hug to show her gratitude. She picked Tania up and placed her on her hip. "Let's get you upstairs before Tamia loses her mind." She walked up the stairs and entered December's room. She sat Tania on the bed and smiled at the hateful look Tamia was giving her. Not at all phased by her attitude, she asked, "Is there anything else I can help you with before December beats your ass?"

"You can get the hell out of my room, and keep your hands off of my baby," Tamia replied sternly.

Val shrugged her shoulders and left. Seconds later, December entered the room. "Why aren't you in the kitchen?" he asked, sounding much calmer than he did a few minutes before. "Never mind that. Put on some decent clothes, because we have somewhere to be. Get one of my black suits out of the closet, and get a dress for yourself. Anthony is coming over to get Tania and drop her off at daycare."