Chapter XX

"Hey, y'all are going to hurt yourselves. Stop running." Tamia grabbed the arms of Tania and the other small girl that was zooming around the house beside her. "Stop." She released them and went back to pulling firecrackers out of boxes. She sat the explosives down on one of the many tables in her front yard. The rest of the tables were covered with food and birthday gifts that people hadn't been able to give her the day before. She estimated that there was at least one gift from each family present, and there were at least one hundred people in her front and back yards. She was surprised to find that she was actually enjoying herself. December had practically begged her to go to the party. She wasn't feeling it that morning and had wanted to stay in her apartment, but she was glad that she chose to hang out with everyone else at the mansion.

Turning around when she felt someone tap her leg, Tamia looked down and smiled at Heaven. She picked her up and hugged her. "Hey. I didn't know you were coming over."

"My daddy said no this morning, but I said 'pretty please, Daddy?' And then he said I was 'noying," Heaven explained, causing Tamia to laugh.

"You're not annoying, Heaven. You're adorable."

Heaven shrugged. "I know. Where is Tania?"

"Tania is in the backyard with the other little kids. Go ahead." She put Heaven down and watched as she sprinted away.

"For the record, I never said she was annoying."

Tamia gasped and turned toward Tremaine.

"I believe that I said aggravating."

"Do you need something, Tremaine?" Tamia asked, directing her attention back to the fireworks.

"No." Tremaine began to help her. "How come you didn't reply to my text yesterday?"

"I never got a text form you. How come you haven't replied to any of the texts I've sent you over the past few weeks?"

"I was pissed with you and I had to think." He lowered his voice slightly. "I was feeling you, Mimi, and I thought you were feeling me."

"I was. I am."

"I can't tell."

"I didn't know December was going to come home as soon as he did."

"So? Leave him."

"It's not that simple."

"Why? Don't answer that. I already know why. Just for the record, I don't hit women."

Tamia put the fireworks down and looked at the ground. "Tremaine, I like you. I love December. I think I want to be with you. But I want to be with December. I don't know what else to tell you."

"If you loved December as much as you claim to, you wouldn't like me, ma. Let me say this. I was talking to December yesterday, and our conversation made me realize that I don't like him. And because I don't like him, I can't let him have something that I want, and I want you. You made it very clear that you want me too, so I'm not sure why you're so hung up on this lame-ass nigga. I know that you're tired of him beating on you. I can give you everything that he gives you, and I wouldn't abuse you while doing it. I can take care of you and your daughter, and she wouldn't be surrounded by hoes all the time."

"Tremaine-"

"You sound like you're getting ready to tell me a bunch of bullshit that I don't want to hear. You leaving him or not?"

"Like I said, it's not-"

"Yes or no?"

Tamia was quiet for a moment. "No."