23. Struggles of the Heart

Start from the beginning

"Never," Marcus wept. He was just as theatrical as they were. "I will never give up on her."

Deva took a step forward. "Then prepare to die."

Marcus shook his head, not able to hold his composer any longer. "Deva that is an awful accent. We do not sound like that."

"Awful," she acted offended. "You wish you had that kind of an accent."

He shook his head. There was no winning with her. "I've come to wish you both good luck but I know you don't need it." Secretly he was dying to see Julia again.

"Why thank you my good man but I must be off. " Deva had to check the strings on her cello before the show started.

As soon as Deva was out of the room the nerves began to kick in again. Julia couldn't find a way to keep her heartbeats steady. Marcus could hear her fast pace heartbeats and went to stand in front of her.

"Julia, are you alright?"

She nodded. "It's been so long since I've danced in front of an audience." She typically didn't get this nervous. Julia knew it had to have been because of him. Marcus was going to be there; he was going to see her dance. She could practically puke just thinking about it.

Marcus cupped her face and she closed her eyes. For some reason he wanted to demand she open them. He loved her dark chocolaty eyes and missed them. Instead he leaned in and brushed his lips against hers.

"You're going to be fine. Breathe, my love. Just breathe."

She did as he said. "Marcus?"

"Hmmmm."

"I got this pit and these stupid butterflies going crazy in my stomach." It was hard for to express her feelings.

Her confession was normal. It was nerves. Marcus wished there was something he could do. "Julia it's normal. It happens to everyone. Would you like me to ease your worries with my ability?"

"No," she shook her head and opened her eyes. She had to get it out and make him understand. "These butterflies and this stupid pit in my stomach is something I've had for a while now."

The deeper he searched her eyes the harder for him to comprehend where this was going.

She had to finish. "They always come when I'm around you." She dropped her gaze. "I get them because of you." It took all her courage to actually confess that to him.

Marcus crushed his lips against hers. She didn't expect that kind of reaction from him but she would take it. His sweet gentle touch ended too soon. "I like you too Julia."

She couldn't believe her ears. It had to be a dream.

"I just couldn't find a way to tell you."

Julia smirked, kissing him again. "Well this is a start."

A few minutes went by and the Queen announced it was show time. The audience consisted of only the King, Queen, Princes, and a few of the close friends which the majority Deva had met because of the ball and party. Deva was last to go and for once hated it. The wait gave her time to work up her nerves.

She watched the other girls perform on the average size stage they had in the castle. Deana sang opera in a pitch too high, Evie played the harp, and Red ended up displaying a few gymnastic moves.

She wasn't, bad but it was a little boring because there was no music and some of the moves were too long and lame. Julia on the other hand did amazingly well. She chose a classical song to dance to which with her soft moments made the audience cry and smile at the same time. She moved gracefully and Deva couldn't be more proud.