27. Waking To A Dream

Darius woke up with a squirming Deva in his arms. She wiggled out of his grip, and he pretended to still be asleep. Deva didn't get out of bed, but she instead sat Indian style while she gazed at Darius' face. He waited a few moments to see what she would do but nothing happened.

"Why are you awake?" He opened his tired eyes to see her troubled face.

"I can't sleep."

He raised his hand to cup her face, and she shut her eyes to his touch. "What is on your mind sweetheart?"

Her deep brown eyes never looked so conflicted before. "I was scared of you."

Darius slowly shifted his body so he was level with her face. She looked deep in thought as she continued. "I thought I knew you. I thought I knew of guys like you, but I was so wrong. Loosh and Nick," she paused. "They were easy to understand. I could read them, and I liked it that way because I was safe. With you, everything is so different. I never thought I could feel this way."

He dropped his hand to her arm and rubbed her skin for comfort. "What do you feel?"

"Anxious, excited, happy, afraid, warm..." She bit her bottom lip. "I don't feel alone anymore."

"I'll always be here for you," He leaned up and pecked her lips.

She groaned, and he sat back down. "I tried so hard. I built these walls to keep everything out, but yet you found your way in. No matter how hard I pushed it away, it always came back." Her hesitant eyes met his. "I was scared of the way you could make me feel. I'm still afraid Dar." She was afraid that once she let herself fully be happy that something would take it away from her.

He pulled her defenseless body closer to his. "You don't have to be."

She nodded her head and pecked his lips before resting on his chest. Darius held her tight and thought of ways he could take the fear away from her.

They stayed in bed for a little longer, but forced each other to get out when a knock came from the door. Deva stretched out her limbs as Amy walked in carrying a tray of food inside. Amy smiled towards the prince, but it quickly dropped when she noticed Deva.

Deva could only imagine what she looked like right now with her hair all messy and make up all smeared.

"I'm sorry my lady. I did not know you were here. I only brought food for the prince." Amy dropped her gaze to conceal what seemed like shame.

"It's fine Amy. I'll share my food." Darius' arms were around Deva's body, and he placed his chin on her shoulder. "Besides she's a tiny human anyway. How much could she eat?"

"You'd be surprised." Deva corrected only making him chuckle.

"I like surprises. Have anymore?" He playfully tickled her side making her jerk away with a laugh.

Amy just stood watching them exchange romantic looks at each other.

"That will be all Amy." Darius spoke before he completely forgot she was there.

Amy darted her eyes a bit towards Deva, but quickly turned walking out the door without another glance.

They sat down and ate their breakfast joking and staring at each other the whole time. When Darius couldn't eat anymore he leaned back in his chair and gazed upon Deva who was still picking at her food.

"What shall we do today?"

Deva stuck a fork into her strawberry at the sound of his question. "I have an idea but I don't think you'll go for it."

"What?" He asked curiously. She seemed timid on asking him which only made him more anxious to know what she wanted to do.

"Well I was wondering if you could possibly show me the lycan." She made herself sound as innocent as she could.