Chapter Twenty: Graduation

I made my way back to the Cullens' house, navigating the familiar path effortlessly

     I made my way back to the Cullens' house, navigating the familiar path effortlessly. As I entered, a bright smile adorned my face, reminiscent of a delighted child receiving a cherished toy. I noticed Esme and Carlisle glance at me, undoubtedly aware of our conversation, yet they smiled sweetly, never letting on or revealing anything to me.

I got dressed, borrowing some clothes from Rosalie. I was surprised to find that we were nearly the same size, although her clothes were still a bit baggy on me. Nevertheless, I made them work. I spent some time alone, engrossed in one of the many books the Cullens had in their collection. However, as night fell, I found myself reading mindlessly, lost in my own thoughts. Worry gnawed at me as I hadn't seen Emmett since our near-kiss moment; he had simply vanished. I couldn't help but wonder if he was deliberately staying away from me.

Carlisle informed me that Bella had injured her hand by punching Jacob in the face. My eyes widened in surprise, though it was exactly the kind of thing Bella would do. I hoped she would share the details with me later. Carlisle and I waited for her within the kitchen, his medical bag placed on the counter.

Soon, Bella and Edward walked in, her eyes immediately locking onto mine. I instantly knew she was aware of what had happened yesterday. "Charlotte," she breathed my name in one relieved exhale, clearly glad to see I was okay.

"Hi," I replied sheepishly. As she crossed the remaining distance between us, I offered her a gentle hug. "I guess you know?" I asked as we pulled back, noticing she was still clutching her right wrist.

"What happened?" Bella asked, her expression filled with concern.

"I'll tell you later," I replied, wanting her to be checked out first. She nodded in understanding as I gently guided her over to Carlisle. He began his examination, carefully inspecting her hand and asking her to perform various movements to ensure it wasn't broken. Bella winced occasionally, but Carlisle's calm demeanour seemed to reassure her as he meticulously assessed her injury.

"It's just a sprain," he stated while carefully bandaging her hand. "It should heal fairly quickly," Carlisle explained. I stood behind him, leaning against the counter, while Edward stood close to Bella.

Quiet footsteps entered the room; if it hadn't been so silent, I might not have heard them. "Trying to walk and chew gum at the same time again, Bella?" Emmett's deep voice rang out from behind. I turned my head over my shoulder to see him slide onto the countertop and lean over. Clad in a stylish vest, shirt, jeans, and belt, his overall attire suited him impeccably. He looked undeniably dashing.

Yet as I gazed at him, memories of what had happened came rushing back. The sensation of our lips nearly touching, the moment before we almost kissed. Just the memory alone made me feel warm inside. His golden eyes flickered to meet my gaze as if he sensed my thoughts. They appeared brighter, suggesting he had fed not long ago. But our brief connection was soon interrupted as his eyes returned to Bella.