The Call

**A/N: Here is the second chapter/part of Not While I'm Around. As always, I do not own the Winchesters or any of the other characters of Supernatural, I'm just toying with them to satisfy my ever eager muse. Other than what is from SPN, everything else (The other characters and the plot) is of my own imagination. Enjoy!**

0-0-0-0-0

            It was an hour into their drive west when Dean’s cell phone rang. He fished it out of his pocket, but whoever was on the other end had hung up. “They must’ve had the wrong number or something.” Just as Dean went to put his phone back in his pocket, it rang again.

            Dean picked up after the first ring. “Hello?”

            “D-Dean? Is that you?” A faint voice asked.

            “Cass, where the hell have you been? We’ve been worried sick about you,” Dean said, looking behind him in the rearview mirror. The last thing they needed was to get pulled over by some backwoods Barney Fife.

            “I don’t know where I am. I don’t know what happened.” There was a long pause, and Dean wondered if the call had dropped. “My head hurts Dean,” Castiel whispered.

            Dean scoffed. “Angels don’t get headaches. What the hell is really going on Cass?”

            “Dean, please. I need help. I need you,” Castiel whimpered, his voice thick with pain. It was that moment that Dean realized something was very wrong with Castiel. Dean had never heard Cass sound so helpless and scared and … so human.

            Dean pulled the car to a stop on the side of the road. He reached behind him and grabbed Sam’s laptop from the seat. He all but shoved it into his brother’s hands.

            “I need you to track the GPS on Cass’s phone,” Dean muttered as he put the phone back up to his ear. “Cass? Cass, are you still there?”

            “Y-yes, I’m here. What’s wrong with me Dean?” Dean could hear the fear and pain through the phone and his chest tightened.

            “I don’t know yet, Cass. I got Sam tracking your phone and we’ll be there as soon as we can. Just hang on Cass. Hang on.” Dean closed his eyes and held his breath. It was like he was living in a nightmare, and all he wanted to do was wake up. He felt the sting of tears in the back of his eyes and shoved his fist to his mouth, holding back a sob.

            “I got it!” Sam finally said after what felt like an eternity, when in reality it was only about two minutes. “He’s on Evergreen Road; it’s about 10 minutes south of here. At the next road, turn left.”

            “You hear that Cass? We’re on our way. Just hang on buddy,” Dean said into the phone. But whether Castiel heard him, he had no idea. He just hoped they would get to Cass in time. He hoped they could figure out what was wrong before it was too late.

 0-0-0-0-0

            A drive that would usually take 10 minutes only took Dean 5 as he sped down the road, blowing through stop signs and getting more than a few one finger salutes from other drivers. “Screw you ass-hat!” Dean had shouted out the window more than once. Dean brought the Impala to a stop behind an older Ford station wagon and sucked in a sharp breath.

            The first thing he saw was the blood; the crimson pool about ten feet from the car, and the trail leading back. What he didn’t see was the bloodied piece of wood that lay near the rear tire. There was no sign of Castiel, and that scared the living daylights out of Dean. He threw the car in park and jumped out, racing towards the open back door. “Cass! Cass!” Dean shouted as he ran.

            He came to a stop, his feet sliding in the still wet blood. Dean bit back a gag and a sob as he took in the scene inside the car. Castiel lay in a limp heap on the backseat, his arm over his face and blood pouring from multiple wounds in his head. His skin was ghostly white and it didn’t look like he was breathing. Dean fell to his knees and felt the breath leave his lungs as he stared down at Cass’s prone form. “Cass?” Dean whispered through a throat thick with unshed tears. He got no response, and the tears finally spilled over, falling unnoticed down his cheeks.

            Sam got out of the car, his hand on the gun in his waistband, his eyes scouring the area for any signs of danger. Dean’s heart-wrenching sobs pulled him from his patrol, and Sam ran to his brother’s aid. He’d never heard his brother cry like that, not even when they lost their father. “Dean!” Sam called as he approached.

            “Sammy,” Dean replied, his voice cracking. “Call 9-1-1. Cass is hurt real bad.”

            Sam moved to the other side of the car and opened the other back door. He bent down and placed his hand on Castiel’s neck, searching for a pulse. “He’s got a pulse, but it’s weak. Cass, can you hear me? It’s Sam and Dean. Wake up Cass,” Sam said, shaking Castiel’s shoulder gently.

            “Sam? Dean?” Castiel wheezed. “My … grace … is … gone.”

**I wasn't sure how long to make this chapter, or if I wanted to end it with a cliff-hanger. But it is what it is, and I hope you are still enjoying the ride. Hang on tight, the ride's about to get a little bumpy. Again, reviews are greatly appreciated b/c they help me grow as a writer.**