Semi-Chapter 2 | Zahra | Hey, My Name's Megan Fox

Start from the beginning

A harsh wind whips at my face and all around me. I snuggle my sweater closer, almost forgetting that it's December. Here in Florida, it's all tropical unlike Minnesota, which has a lot of snow. But right now it's a little chilly and it's reminding me of back home.

I hope Kayla went to the diner with Bonnie and Veronica by now. I know that girl will move on some time soon because she's strong. She has been played with her emotions by Nick, who lied to her. It actually crushed her when she found out the nasty truth about him. But now, she's standing her ground and not taking any more crap. She won't let anyone else mess with her feelings.

I hear someone running and Zubayr comes into view with a blanket wrapped around him. He looks up at me with red eyes and sniffs persistently. I sigh and get off of the truck and bent down to reach Zubayr at eye level. "What's wrong?" I ask softly.

He pulls the blanket around him tighter and lets out a sob. "I need a tissue." I nod and head into the house with him ahead of me. I grab a tissue box from the first-floor bathroom and hand it to him. He takes a handful of tissues gingerly and blows his nose.

"Now, what's the problem? Zakariya is bothering you again? I'm going to go slap him if he is," I assure him, even though I wouldn't hurt my other little brother like that.

He shakes his head. "It's not that." He suddenly stops crying as he dries his eyes of his nonstop tears. There's a silence as he wraps the tissue into a ball. And then he laughs. He was crying and he now laughs. "I tricked you! Finally! You always do that to me but today I tricked you!" He laughs in my face and I can't help but feel that my five-your-old brother fooled me.

I cross my arms and look at him angrily (mockingly, of course). "How dare you do that to me, Zubayr? I'm your only big sister and I was worried that you were actually hurt. You honestly lead me to believe that someone would harm a precious boy like you, but no. You're just adding on to the list of your shenanigans."

Even though he must not know half the words I just said, his lip quivers and he looks down. "I'm...I'm sawwy sis. I didn't mean to."

"Now go help Mommy unpack the boxes, okay? Tell her I want to take a nap for awhile." He nods solemnly and heads off to the kitchen while I giggle a little to myself. I admit, I don't like making my brother sad but he kind of did the same thing. I walk upstairs and see my dad and this other guy hauling my dresser into my room. Well, I guess I can't sleep in my room.

"Zahra, is someone watching the truck?" my dad asks me as he spots me at the doorway. He and the other guy, who's apparently one of my dad's friends I guess, place the dresser against the wall facing my bed.

My eyes widen. "Shi-I mean, I forgot. But you did tell me to take a nap," I complain.

"Okay, go then. Oh, and this is Roger, my co-worker. He's going to help us move in a few things since your brother is caught up in his studies." I nod and say hi to Roger and run down the stairs, my back still sore and stiff.

I walk out barefoot and see a guy...speculating the truck. He peers into it and looks around the furniture and boxes placed carefully inside, ready to be unpacked and carried in, not necessarily in that order. I roll my eyes at the thought of a guy checking out a truck. Ew, that sounds wrong. "Hey!" I shout out to him as my feet touch the cool gravel of the driveway. "What the hell do you think you're doing?!" I inquire him as I slightly push him away once I reach him.

"I'm... looking after the truck. In case someone steals anything inside." He shoves his hands in his pockets and flashes a cocky smile. His auburn hair hangs in front of his eyes and I scrunch my face in disgust.

"First of all, you seriously need a haircut. And second, you're a bad liar. I know you're a thief, " I accuse him.

He gives me a knowing smile. "Chill, I'm just trying to help someone out. Oh, and welcome to the neighborhood."