two • shy smiles

The game consisted of taking as many shots as possible in thirty seconds, and whoever did the least had to tell a secret and take a shot.

Courtney handed the bartender a wad of cash for a bottle of vodka, and she started to fill up the twenty glasses that sat empty before them.

"We are going to die," Kurt laughed, stumbling slightly over his words. The man could hold his liquor and knew he could do it, but he wasn't sure about the dirty blond woman next to him.

Filling up the last glass, she started to arrange them in a line and said, her voice like a scolding teacher, "I asked if you had balls, and you said you did. You're not a liar then?" Her eyes melted into Kurt's, waiting for an answer.

He just shook his head, which caused Courtney's smirk to fade into a smile, "then no one is dying tonight."

She fidgeted the glasses for a couple seconds, all the while the band began to play a faster song. It wasn't upbeat or too quick, but it was fitting the mood between Kurt and Courtney.

Suddenly, she grabbed his hands, which startled him. Her calloused yet soft hands pulled his toward her and turned them around, looking at his wrists.

Kurt didn't really know what to say, but understood as soon as she dropped his right hand and pulled his left onto the table, exposing the fade brown watch.

"You wanna go first?" Courtney half-whispered, still holding onto his wrist. Their eyes connected for a second before the girl's bright pair diverted down to the watch.

Kurt too looked down at the watch, slightly grunting, "um, yeah, sure."

Before he could do anything, Courtney's other hand joined her hand that still sat on him, picking the bony wrist off and taking off the watch. Pulling at the edge of his sleeve, she put it back to place and sat the watch flag on the table.

"Okay, when I say go, you start, okay Curtis?" She asked, flickering her gaze from the time to him briefly, reconnecting their eyes.

The blonde nodded, making another noise of agreement in the back of his throat. They both watched as the skinny hand on the small screen move fast around the time.

"Alright- go!"

Quickly, Kurt tipped his head back and swallowed down the fire-like liquid, pounding out a couple shots before Courtney yelled "time!" over the noise of the club. His throat burned and stung, but it numbed away by the second.

Refilling the four- almost five- shot glasses Kurt emptied, the girl nodded, "that was impressive for the a first time player."

"Oh believe me," the singer humorlessly laughed, slumping himself on the bar as he watched the nicest stranger he had met in a while straighten the line of shots, "I can do better."

Smiling widely, Courtney gazed up at him through her eyelashes, "better luck next round then."

Kurt chucked and watched the clock, saying "go!" as the skinny hand touched the '12'. Once he had looked up, she was already done with two shots.

Cutting her off 25 seconds later, the Nirvana frontman was impressed with her ability to hold liquor. She had taken almost six shots in thirty seconds and didn't seem fazed. The burning drink was like water to her.

"Where did you learn to drink like that?"

The mysterious girl chuckled and smirked, raising a brow at the man, "now, that would be a secret, right? It's your turn to do that."

Kurt rolled his eyes and leaned onto the bar, already feeling the woozy effect of the alcohol. "Alright then, ask away" he chuckled.

"What's your biggest, nastiest secret?"

Taken aback, the blonde rose a brow to Courtney, who kept a steady stare on him, "that's a little intrusive."

"I think you can correctly judge who a person really is based on their worse secret," the girl shrugged, moving slightly which caused them to be even more in contact. "If it'll make you feel better, I'll tell you mine."

Her words were starting to slur, but they were delicate and slow.

"Aren't we supposed to do another round?"

An "oh yeah" slipped from her lips as she looked at the bar, pushing three shots towards him. "Here," she smirked, "drink these and we'll be even. Then we'll be complete girls and share our dirty secrets."

Sighing, Kurt's spinning head encouraged him to comply to her demand; the three shots were a blur but he knew he was drunk as he sat the last one down at the bar.

His throat was so scratched up he couldn't stop himself from coughing. To support him, Courtney grabbed his shoulder, rubbing it softly with her thumb.

"Are you okay?" her words were long and as soft as her thumb, filled with concern.

Kurt smiled up to her, his own speech slurred, "I'm fine, thank you."

Awkwardly, she dropped her hand and supported her bossy by leaning on the counter, watching the man watch her, "what's your secret now Blondie?"

Without even thinking, Kurt slumped onto the bar, laying his head in his arms, and said: "I'm a heroin-addicted, phony, sell-out of a rockstar who fell in love with another junkie who is probably only with me for my fame."

He couldn't bare to look at Courtney, he couldn't even think straightly.

Next to him, closer than he thought, was her sweet voice, whispering in a sympathetic tone, "if it makes you feel better, I'm a depressed, hypocritical, lying bitch who is desperately trying to follow my dream when I have no talent and is staying with an emotionally and verbally abusive man for the stability. You seem like you think you're a horrible person, but you aren't."

Slowly, Kurt turned his head, following to where Courtney's voice was heard, and saw her also hunched over on the bar, her head laying in her arms and looking at him with a small smile. She was about two inches from his face and breathed quietly and evenly, her hot breath slightly hitting his chin.

They later there in silence for a little while, Kurt quickly matching his breathing to hers, before he did something that confused him. Fueled by her kind words or by the alcohol, it happened either way.

Softly and suddenly, the man leaned in and kissed her.

And didn't even regret it.