Chapter twelve-the end.

this is the last chapter of the prequel! but don't worry, the sequel will be up VERY soon!! enjoy

LEO'S POV

I can't remember the last time I had a good night of sleep. I can't remember the last time I went a day without doing drugs. My life is a mess.

"Fuck," I mumbled as I rolled out of bed and found a pair of pajama pants to put on. Today I planned on staying in my apartment all day.

My living room was a mess. Stuff everywhere, and the place needed to be dusted, but I didn't have any motivation to clean it.

Today was an important day, however. Today was the day that Lauren was moving into the apartment next door. To say I was surprised was an understatement. I was ecstatic to hear that my new neighbor was Lauren.

I didn't know what to do with myself anymore. Here I was, practically stalking the girl I have been in love with for years. I could never be with her. It's not possible. Why would she love someone like me?

I needed food. But, there was nothing in the fridge, as usual. Maybe I could go get a few things at the store. It was 2pm right now. Lauren was already mostly moved into her apartment. Maybe I would get a glimpse of her.

I brushed my teeth and put a random pair of clothes on that were scattered around my apartment. After a long search, I found a pair of shoes—my old converse that were going to completely break at any time—and I headed out the door, not bother locking it like usual.

It was a windy day out. My ears were a little cold from being exposed to the air. The walk to the store wasn't really that long, maybe about ten or fifteen minutes.

I've always enjoyed walking. You get to see people and what their lives are like. You don't know their name, their story, or who they are. And they don't know anything about you.

There was a woman sitting on her steps watching her son draw with chalk. He kept screaming, "mommy, is this good enough?" She answered with "yes, you're an amazing artist!"

I felt my heart pinch at the sight of me. I never had that as a child. My mother was always working, and my father, well...that's a tough thing to talk about.

I wish I had a childhood. I wish I had something to reminisce about and something good to remember. But I have nothing.

The store wasn't really that crowded. In fact, there was practically no one there. It was the middle of the day, why would people be here?

I grabbed a little basket. I didn't have much money to buy a lot, so I only needed the necessities. Milk. Cereal. All that stuff.

I picked up the milk and a box of Cheerios. I didn't really like any other cereal. Then, I picked up toothpaste, deodorant, and shampoo. After that, I had enough money to get a shitty tub of ice cream—among other things. Why not treat myself?

The cashier was definitely judging me as I waited for her to check my stuff out. My greasy hair, my gross clothes, and just my appearance overall gave away the fact that I had no money, and probably gave away that I was most likely—well, I am—a drug addict.

"That will be $52.12," she said, not moving her eyes from the computer in front of her. I handed her the money, which was practically all I had. She gave me my change and I made my way home.

When I arrived at the apartment complex, Lauren's car was parked in the parking lot. I smiled to myself. She was really here. Finally, someone that I know...someone that knows that I'm not an asshole, a weirdo, or anything among those words.

But then again, she hasn't seen me in years.

I could hear people talking. It had to be the people next to Lauren's apartment. I don't know their names, but there's a single mother that lives there with her daughter. I think?

My arms were starting to hurt from carrying the bags of groceries.  The elevator was in use and I didn't have the patience to wait for it, so my only option was the stairs. I let out a huff of breath when I reached the last flight of stairs. Finally.

As I was about to walk to my door, the door that was two down from me opened. I turned, and immediately felt my heart begin to race. It was Lauren. She was really here.

She didn't say anything; her mouth was just wide open, like she didn't even know what to say.

I sent her a quick wink, feeling courageous at my actions, and went into my apartment. If I didn't go inside then I would stare at her all day.

I couldn't believe that Lauren was my Neighbor.

———

THE END!!

make sure to check out the sequel to Neighbor! it's called "fín"