Chapter two.

LAUREN'S POV

(Just to clarify—in the last chapter, I said that the family was renting a house. However, I have decided to change it. The house that they're staying in is their beach house....they own it! That's about all. Enjoy reading xx)

"Wake up, kiddos! We have arrived!" My father shouted as I felt the car come to a stop. Ugh. The beginning to the worst two weeks of my life. And the worst two weeks of summer. I let out a groan as I hopped out of the car and stretched my legs. They were sore from the long car ride.

I grabbed my bag from the back of one of the cars and hesitantly made my way towards the house, ignoring the calls from my mother.

This house was big. Too big. I wasn't complaining. At least it was big enough to avoid my family.

I immediately ran up the steps and went to my room. It still looked the same from the last time I was here. White furniture and light grey walls, with a few pictures hung up. It didn't feel like home, but it would always have to do.

I began to take the stuff out of my suitcases and put them into the drawers. My parents were downstairs and my brother and his friends were out there doing god knows what.

I looked over to the corner of my room to see my old record player from years ago. Why did I never bring this thing home? Granted, I do have another one back home...but this one felt more valuable.

I grabbed one of my favorite records from the basket underneath it. Hour of the Wolf by Steppenwolf. I let my mind fade to somewhere else as the music continued to play.

"Some good music taste you have," a voice spoke, making me jump. I turned around to see Leo standing at my door. I turned the volume down and looked at him.

"Thanks," I smiled. "What did you need?"

"Uh- your mom wanted me to let you know what lunch is ready...downstairs. Yeah, I'll see you down there..."

Before I could say anything, he turned around and left. I turned around and walked down the steps to the kitchen. I could hear my parents talking to each other and my brother talking to his friends as well.

"Lauren! So nice of you to join us," my mother joked as I walked into the room. I rolled my eyes and sat down at the island next to my dad.

"Hey kiddo," he said as he ruffled his hand in my hair. "Haven't seen you all day. Everything alright?"

"Yep, just fine. Just bored," I answered and took a bite out of the sandwich that my mother made for me to eat.

I looked over to my dad to see that he had a smile on his face. "What?" I asked. He was up to something.

"You wanna go for a walk on the beach? You and me-"

"Nope, no can do. Your father and I have to go to a dinner with the neighbors, remember?" My mom interrupted him.

My father let out a deep sigh and looked at me with sad eyes. "Oh, that's right. Do you want to go another time? Tomorrow, maybe?"

"That's fine."

He smiled and pressed a kiss to the top of my head and I smiled, too. My dad and I were always close. We had more in common than my mother and I, and he was easier to talk to and loved to joke around with me. My mom, on the other hand, was kind of difficult to talk to sometimes. But, she was still an amazing mother.

"You want to take the dog on the beach? He needs to exercise," my mom asked me, and I nodded. I needed to be by myself for a little bit.

"Chester!" I shouted. "Come here, boy!"

I heard the jingle of his collar as he came to me, practically jumping on top of me. He was always a happy dog, and he made me happier than anything else in this world.

I grabbed his leash and a tennis ball. On the way out the door I grabbed my copy of "The Shining" by Stephen King, and soon, we were off to the beach.

The weather was perfect today. It was warm out and the sky was clear. The ocean was the only thing that could be heard right now, which was really soothing.

I let Chester off his leash and he ran around me in circles. I threw the tennis ball down the beach and watched him run off into the ocean. I sat down and pulled my book out.

Stephen King has always been one of my favorite authors. Horror books just intrigue me more than anything, and once I pick one of his books up, I can't put it down.

I felt like someone was standing behind me, but I didn't turn around. The words on the book in front of me had me distracted from the world around me, so I didn't see a body sit down next to me.

"You like Stephen King?" They said, causing me to jump. I looked up to see Leo sitting next to me. Why is he always the one to do this?

"Uh...yeah, I enjoy his work a lot."

He smiled and looked at the ocean in front of us. It was silent for a few moments until his voice spoke again. "Beautiful day out."

"I know," I said as I looked around. Chester was seated next to me in the sand. I would probably have to give him a bath later to get all of this sand out of his fur.

"Not as beautiful as you, though." He whispered, causing me to look over at him.

Did he really just say that?