Chapter ten.

LAUREN'S POV

"And you're telling me that you haven't seen or talked to Matthew in weeks? This is ridiculous! Why isn't he answering his phone?"

"You know how he is. He's with the wrong crowd, Jill. You know how many times I've tried to help him?"

I was sitting at the dining room table trying to do my sociology homework. My parents were in the kitchen arguing about my brother. He hasn't been home in days and no one has heard from him. This isn't the first time it's happened.

He's out doing what he does best I'm sure. But in the end, he always comes back. When we ask where he was he just says "nowhere" and stomps up to his room.

Same old.

I was now a freshman in college. It was Columbus Day weekend and I was visiting home for two days. It felt nice to be home.

"I'm scared that one day he's never going to come back," my mother said in defeat. "I'm scared, okay? He's my son."

My dad let out a deep sigh and sat down next to my mom.

"Jill, I'm scared too. He's my son as well. I'm just...disappointed. We've tried so much stuff to help him and he just gives up on us."

"So what are going to do?" My mom said.

"Hello," a voice spoke. I looked over to see my little sister, Erin, walking towards me. "I'm hungry."

"Mom said she would make dinner soon," I replied as I continued to go through my work.

"Can I sit next to you?"

I nodded, and she immediately ran over to one of the seats next to me and climbed onto it. She was always trying to see what I was typing, even though she could barely understand the words on the screen.

"Whatcha doin'?"

I looked over to her, "sociology homework."

"What's that?"

"The study of society. You'll learn about it when you're older," I laughed.

"That sounds cool!"

I nodded. We sat there for a few more minutes. My parents had been silent for awhile and I wondered what conclusion they had come up with.

I just hope my brother is okay.

-----

I was now back on campus and on my way to my psych class. John Mayer was playing through my headphones as I walked through the busy students.

All of the sudden, someone bumped into me, causing me to trip and fall. I landed on my butt with an "oomph" and looked up to see a boy wearing sunglasses and a hoodie. I couldn't see his face, however.

"Sorry," he apologized but immediately walked away. I shook my head and got up before continuing my walk.

"Lauren!" I heard someone shout. I removed a headphone. "Lauren!"

I turned around to see my best friend, Leah, running towards me. She was my roommate and we've really gotten along.

"Hey," I smiled as she walked up to me.

"You busy this weekend? There's this huge party and I wanna go."

I thought about it for a moment. The last time I went to a party was the end of senior year. That was when Leland hit me and almost raped me. I don't know if I could go to another party.

"I don't know Leah..."

"Come on, Lauren! It'll be fun. You need to let loose. Please?"

"Fine," I sighed in defeat. I guess I needed to get out sometime soon.

We bid our goodbyes and I put my headphones back in. John Mayer's Heartbreak Warfare was playing. It was one of my favorite songs by him.

However, as I was walking to my class, I felt as if someone was watching me. I stopped in my tracks and looked all around me. It all seemed normal till the kid with the hoodie and sunglasses caught my eye.

He was sitting on a park bench; his sunglasses still on. What was he doing? Whatever it was, I had the feeling that he was the one who was watching me.