The Wolf

*The prologue*

I was just a normal girl, living like a normal girl should. I am thirteen years old and I already have trust issues. I live alone with my abusive, in every way, mother. My father died when I was young but I remember it clearly as if it were yesterday. But that's a story for a different time and place.

I live in Rothendire, a little, and I mean minuscule, village in the center of the mountains, which circle us in a bowl. My village is surrounded by thick forests of trees that harbor very dark secrets. My mother told me stories, when I was younger, that were of a monster that hunted these very parts. She used to say that it still hunted here to this very day. In Switzerland, I guess, anything is possible.

My rules are simple around here. Do as you're told, don't get caught doing anything displeasing to the lord, and most of all don't ever go into the Black forest alone. If you follow these rules then you should get along here just fine. If not then good luck with the Wolf.

*Chapter 1*

"Avashly!" My mother yelled, "Go get some water."

I sigh but grab the bucket and head out. It's always the same, my mother doesn't even have to tell me the rules. Go, get the water, come straight back and above all don't talk to strangers. I would've followed my mother's orders, if she didn't give them or if they actually did apply to Loic. You see every time that I would go and gather water, he would always turn up and lure me away with words like meadows and wildflowers.

"Avashly!" He whispered, "You're here. That’s great because I found this great place for us to go. It's got-"

"No I can't go today. Mother is mad and I have to get back. I'm sorry Loic" I told him

"Oh ok. I get it. Well I'll see you tomorrow.'

"Yeah I'll see you." I say but I don't specify when.

I turn and walk away. I fell really guilty because Loic is my best friend and It was pretty rude to just walk away but he knew what my mother was like and he didn't want me to get into trouble. Today was one of the only days that he had off from his trade. He was a woodcutter and he worked from monday to saturday afternoons. On those afternoons he would come looking for me and we would steal away together and go somewhere where we could escape reality.

I had been best friends with him since he had rescued me from a mountain lion when we were nine. Around here people grow up fast. Kids don't have time to be kids. Boys get a trade at age eleven and girls learn to do house work and everything else at that same age. It's like you are only a child until you are strong enough to do something useful.

Suddenly the gongs ring out in the village plaza. I drop the water and run into town. I reach the edge of town and find everyone running to the hay fields. They were surrounding something that was lying on the ground when I got there. I push my way through and immediately slump to the ground. Laying there on the cold, hard ground was my best girlfriend Natalie. I sobbed into the heartless earth.

When I looked at her I saw that a beast had ripped her throat out. Her throat was literally ripped out. I found it a few yards away. She had long gashes down her body and her face was scratched with long raw marks. She was lifted from the ground and her lifeless body was carried to her home. I sat there still until I felt a hand against my shoulder. I looked up and saw Loic's face. He smiled but it was more of a grimace. He lifted me up and took my hand.

“Come on let’s get you home.”

Hey everyone I just wanted to say thanks for reading and I would really appreciate it if you could vote, comment, or fan. Again thanks for reading.

The WolfOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara