Chapter 2: Bitter Cold Conflict

Start from the beginning

His piercing yellow gaze suddenly met hers, and all sounds ceased. Even Max froze on the spot, tail between his legs at the newcomer. The girl quietly gazed back. Her pupils would flick to anywhere but them every few seconds, indicating anxiety.

Hm. Well, this was new. So deliciously new. When was the last time The Grinch had met another in person? Maybe he could use some social interaction. And fun!

The green male let his solid form relax and take on a more casual pose. His face contorted into an evil, mischievous smile that reached his non-visible ears.

"Why...hello there...little girl..." he said slowly, and Brittany could hear the raw amusement laced within his words. Little did he know that she was in no mood to be taunted and teased. Not in this place; not after she climbed a damn mountain.

"H-hello Mr. Grinch...!" She stuttered quietly. She lifted her shaking hand in a small wave, then dropped it to fiddle with her fingers, as she did when nervous.

The Grinch took a cautious step forward, paused, then crossed the distance in a fast pace until their noses almost touched. Brittany lurched back in surprise, almost falling over in the process. The other's smile grew in retaliation.

"And who might you be?" He questioned smoothly. Oh, he was enjoying her shaken look indeed.

Brittany took a breath and tried to conceal the bitter cold that nipped at her from every angle. She suddenly felt very envious of his thick green fur.

"My name's Brittany. I've..." another breath. "I've come for help. Please."

The Grinch leaned back and studied her pleading face. As far as he knew, this was all a trick for him to be a part of Whoville at all. For them to get him to, dare he say it, like Christmas. Deceptions and lies from a random Who was not on his agenda for today! Suddenly the Grinch felt that he wanted her gone rather than stay to be his new entertainment.

"Oh...? Help? From little old me?" He played along, touching his furry chest with delicate fingertips.

"My dear Brittany, as much as I'd like to ask just why you've chosen me to," he made a gagging sound. "Help you; I don't care. Now run along back down where you came from and ask your fellow Who's for that sort of thing." With that, he turned away from her and began to rummage through the trash, calling to Max for assistance. Brittany clenched her fists.

"Look, I didn't scale this entire mountain just to be turned away. Besides, I'll die if I try to make another trip in this cold!" The Grinch rolled his eyes.

"Exactly. Go for it, kid."

"Wha - no!" She paused and covered herself with her arms. "I'm not from here, Grinch. And not just from this town. From this world. I was...transported here somehow, and I have no idea how to get back!

"Boohoo for you, cry me a river!" The furred Who slunk a bag stuffed with garbage over his shoulder and began his walk back to the cave, Max following in tow with a bag of his own hanging from his teeth. Brittany quickly followed suit.

"W-Wait! Please, give me a chance-"

"Nope."

"You're the only one that can help-" Her constant pestering was beginning to get on his nerves quite a bit. First, lies about being from another world entirely. Next, poking and prodding to see if he'd change his mind! Ugh, he was more than glad that he lived away from these bothersome Who's. Gritting his teeth, he spun around to face Brittany like before, but now pointing an accusing green finger into her face.