Chapter Three

You sat at the table set up in the dining room, each paladin sat in their separate seats. You laid your head on your palm and listened to each individual conversation before Coran interrupted your day dreaming.

"So, (Y/N), if you don't mind me asking, what were you doing before you involved yourself in all of this, galra business?" he asked as the others began shoveling their faces with the green food goo Hunk had presented you. When he asked you this, you didn't exactly know how to answer. For as long as you could remember, you'd been on the run from the law, and trying to free prisoners that were taken by Zarkon, but they only knew one half of that, they didn't need to know the other part.

"I, I don't exactly remember," you replied as your paired your response with a nervous chuckle.

"What do you mean?" Pidge eagerly asked.

"I mean, ever since I was captured, my hours felts like months, and my days felts like years. My life revolved around surviving all the abuse, and trying to save up the meals they gave, because they were seldom to come by. The only thing I could remember was when they were going to come in, pin me against the wall, throw the punches, and leave me to bleed on the ground," you suddenly stopped, noticing the absence of sound in the room. Everyone stopped eating, and stared at you with helpless eyes. "Sorry, didn't mean to bring the mood down."

"No, don't apologize," Shiro comforted. You forced a smile towards the others.

"I'm not hungry anymore, sorry," you apologized.

"No, no, no, you're okay. Do you want us to show you to your room?" Coran queried. You silently nodded. He led you down several halls until you were shown to a hallway that held several rooms. He opened one of the doors and showed you inside.

"Is this my room?" you guessed.

"Yes. If you need anything, each of the paladins live in these rooms. Blue is right across the hall," he announced.

"Blue, do you mean Lance?" you laughed.

'Precisely," he acknowledged. "I'll leave you be, if you need anything, you know where to find us." He slowly exited the room, closing the door behind him. You looked around at the fairly bare room. All that laid was a bed, dresser, and a door that led to a small bathroom. You grudged towards the bathroom, making sure to lock the door once you were in. You stood against the sink, staring back at your reflection in the mirror.

"What happened?" you asked yourself. You stared at the reflection of a woman you didn't know. She was in a galra uniform that was ripped and torn all over. It held several blood stains. She looked weak and defeated. She was locked from the inside out, but you didn't own the key to reveal her inner love and warmth. Your eyes burned from trying to hold back the tsunami of tears that had bubbled in your (E/C) orbs. Suddenly, the wall broke, and the tears came silently flowing down your lifeless cheeks and onto the tiles beneath you.

"Dang it, dang it, dang it!" you yelled under your breath. You banged your balled fist onto the counter. Suddenly, you heard a knock at the door.

"(Y/N)?" you heard someone call. You cupped your mouth over your mouth to cover your sobs. "(Y/N), it's Lance, are you okay?"

"Yeah, I'm good," you choked back.

"Can I come in?" he asked.

"I'm fine, just go away," you sniffled as you stood against the door.

"(Y/N), please, just unlock the door," he begged. You didn't feel like fighting with him, so, like he asked, you unlocked the door and let him in. You noticed how he instantly stared at your swollen eyes and you tear-stained cheeks.

"I said I was fine," you whimpered.

"What happened?" he consoled.

"I opened the door, can't you just go back to dinner," you sniffled.

"I will if you answer my question," he negotiated.

"I don't know what happened," you choked.

"What happened to what?" he asked, the look on his face looking slightly puzzled.

"Me."

"What's wrong with you?" he asked as he stepped closer.

"I stare at myself now, and I don't know who I'm looking at. I used to be so strong, and smart, and now, look at me," you murmured as you began to stare at your feet. You noticed his feet step in front of yours as he began cupping your face in his palms.

"I know I've only known you for a day, but the woman who is standing in front of me right now is kind, beautiful, smart, and probably stronger than any of us in this castle right now. It doesn't matter if no one believes in you, or if someone tells you that you aren't good enough, because in my eyes, you are the whole package. And if I see that, you should be able to see that too," he smirked.

"Thanks, but I don't get how you see that," you groaned.

"It's simple, I've seen the world the way you've been seeing it, almost my entire life, a mess and a half, but sometimes, you add filters, and see the world through the beauty of it all" he sympathized.

"How did you fix it?" you asked curiously.

"I haven't, not yet, the way you're feeling right now, it's the feeling of looking for something, but not finding it yet," he paused.

"But, I don't get that, I'm not looking for anything," you challenged.

"You're not looking for anything that you know of, just you wait, it'll pop out when you least expect it," he shone his teeth. "Do you want to come out and try eating?"

"No, I feel a lot better now, but I'm going to try and get some rest," you considered.

"Don't sweat it, you'll have a piping hot plate of Hunk's food goo in the morning," he joked as he opened the door to leave your room. You sat on the bed, getting ready to go to sleep when he paused, turning around to face you.

"Hey, (Y/N)?" Lance questioned.

"Yeah?" you yawned.

"I think I may have found what I was looking for," he smiled as he closed the door after his statement. You fixed your eyes on the door for a split second afterwards, before relaxing and lying down on your bed. You stared at the ceiling.

What were you looking for? And what did he find?