Chapter 8

XX Rexy

Chapter 8

Walking out of my Sign Language class the next morning without Skylar was weird. But the teacher had asked him to stay for a minute to talk about something. So I was on my own.

'It’s the first time I am on my own in the halls since I started school.' I thought to myself as I start walking to my next class.

“Hey, what’s up?” asked a preppy girl in a cheerleading outfit, she started walking next to me. “My name is Gabrielle, but everyone calls me Gabby. I am so happy I caught you without one of the boys around. I wanted to get to know you but every time I tried to say hi one of them was around and I am extremely shy when it comes to boys. Here’s my number, because I know you don’t talk or can’t talk or whatever and I just wanted to say hi and maybe we could be friends? Oh look, there’s Declan,” she pointed and I looked and he was staring at me.

As soon as our eyes met he scowled and turned away. “What did you do to make him mad? Well anyway here’s my classroom so I’ll see you later. Bye!” And with that she was gone.

As I walked past Declan to get to my class he spun around and grabbed my arm. In a low growly voice he said, “Stay away from that girl. She is not good for you and I don’t want you anywhere near her.”

Colby saw me and then he saw Declan’s hand squeezing my arm and rushed towards me. “Get your hands off of Shye you stupid mutt before I remove it for you.” Colby growled.

Declan let go but pulled me behind him.  “Don’t you tell me what to do Silver or I will teach you your place.” Declan said. 

Both guys looked like they were going to shift any minute. Suddenly Skylar was between them with one hand on each guy.

“Alright boys now calm down. We don’t want a show in the middle of the hallway do we.” He looked at me and winked. “Shye doll come here and give me a hug so these nincompoops can calm their butts down.” I started to move but Declan wouldn’t let me.

Skylar looked at him and said, “I won’t do anything Declan, you know me, what and who I am. You know that I cannot lie to you and that I will not hurt her in any way. You know that she can touch me without repercussions. Let her come here. She is frightened and needs someone to explain to her what has just happened. I can get the two of us excused and go somewhere and tell her what’s what.”

Declan released my wrist where he had been lightly holding me and moved aside to let me get to Skylar.

He looked at me and slowly moved his hand up towards my face and tucked a piece of hair behind my ear. “Sorry Shye, I shouldn’t have done that. I’ll talk to you today in free period.” He turned and walked away.

Skylar grabbed me and hugged me tight. “Colby get to class before you get another detention,” he said quietly. “I will take care of her, I promise.”

Once we were alone he walked me to the sick room and got free passes for the both of us. The nurse also gave us access to her empty sick room so we could talk.

“I suppose you want to know what I am.” He said cautiously. I nodded my head. “I am called a shield or a null. No magic can be performed with me around. I nullify it, meaning that the boys being close to shifting suddenly felt that they couldn’t do it, because I was touching them. If I had just stood there they still wouldn’t have shifted but it would have hurt them. I am one of your protectors my Oracle.”

I looked up with wide eyes.

“Yes I know that you are an oracle and I know that’s why you left the other day. You went into a trance in Chemistry. I know this because I can feel the fluxes in magic in the air and I followed it to the Chemistry lab. I didn’t try to pull you out of it because it would have had serious consequences. Just know that I am your friend and I will do anything and everything to protect you. We need to get into class now but after school I will come home with you guys and we can talk more then. Ok?”

I smiled and nodded and he walked me to class.

“Stick with the guys you know until we talk later ok?” Again I nodded and then walked into my classroom. 

The rest of the day flew by. When it was time for my free period I walked into the library and straight to the teacher, not looking around to see if anyone was around. Once he gave me my pass I walked out and sat at the tree next to the car. Closing my eyes I just drifted in my thoughts trying to figure things out. I didn’t even realize that a furry head lay down in my lap and I was petting it.

“What the frig. She’s sleeping again. Come on Skylar let’s get her in the car. You can follow us in your car if you want to.” Connor said quietly.

“She smells like-“

“Shh. Be quiet Colby, you are gonna wake her up,” said Skylar. I snuggled into the arms holding me and sighed, sliding back into sleep.

“Wake up Shye, we are home and need to talk to you. Skylar is here.” Colby whispered in my ear. I open my eyes and realize he had removed my glasses and I was lying on my bed. Sitting up I notice Skylar, Connor, and Matt sitting on the floor.

Matt looked up and smiled. “Hey Shye, I carried you inside, heard that this one here was gonna explain some things to you and figured what the hell I want to listen too. Got a problem with that?” 

I shook my head no and leaned over Colby to get my glasses. He grabbed my hand and said, “No need for glasses, the lights are not on and the curtain is down. You just want them because without them we can see your eyes.” I looked up into his eyes and waited. I saw his eyes go big and he looked scared.

I looked away and grabbed my glasses putting them on and then I moved over to sit in my corner. I pulled my knees up and turned my head away from the guys. “Shi-vers Shye. I didn’t mean to upset you. I'm sorry.” Colby said quietly as he came towards me. I shook my head no and he stopped.

Skylar came to me and sat down. “What happened doll? Did the silly puppy be mean to you?” I smiled and nodded.

Matt jumped up and grabbed Colby by the back of the shirt. “What the frig did you do to Shye. Why won’t she look at us and why is she crying.” I jumped up and grabbed Matt’s arm. I shook my head no. 

Connor handed me my laptop and I sighed. –its not his fault its mine. I didn’t tell you guys everything about my eyes because when I do people have to see for themselves and then they never talk to me again. He wouldn’t let me have my glasses so I showed him why I needed them. It scared him and that hurt. Let him go and if I have to I will let you see what I am talking about.-

Matt dropped Colby and turned to me. “You don’t have to show me anything you don’t want to, I don’t mind not knowing things. If you feel comfortable enough to show me then we can kick out these buffoons and you can show me privately.”

I shook my head no and typed, -I will show all of you so that you know why I must have these dark sunglasses. Just don’t freak out and I will be fine.­­-

They moved to me and Colby stood behind me holding my shoulders in a silent supportive role. I took off my sunglasses, reached up and grabbed Colby’s hand and looked them in the eyes one by one until they all saw their own eyes reflected back. 

Skylar laughed when he saw his. “Oh my goodness doll, that is the most amazing and beautiful thing I have ever seen.”

After we settled back down Skylar sat next to me and Colby went and changed into his wolf. Laying his head down on my lap I reached up and started petting him as Skylar started explaining to the guys what he was or did as a null.

After the explanations about himself he started talking to us about Oracles and prophecies. There was one in particular that he was interested in and couldn’t seem to stop talking about.  “This prophecy is my favorite. I think it is a very interesting one and I want to write a book about it one day.  It's called the circle of nine."