twenty: mirage

Both my best friends are staring at us as we made our way towards their table. Like we were some sort of annoying couple walking down the school halls. But for fuck's sake! Allie and I aren't even holding hands.

"Hey, guys, " Allie greeted as awkward as ever.

"Hey, Allie. So, may we know why you two arrived forty-five minutes late?" Ian asked, eyes drifting from the lass beside me to me, clearly not pleased.

"Oh," Allie blushed crimson red causing Ian and Bree to laugh like there's no tomorrow.

Busted.

"Okay, babe, we aren't like that right?" Ian asked still unable to supress his laughter.

"Hey! As long as I can remember, you two bailed out on me one time to go on a date," I informed them, matter-of-factly.

Not having a thing to retort back, Aubrie flipped her middle finger at me causing Allie to giggle.

"Wow, babe. Seriously? You're rejoicing over the fact that - " I stopped mid sentence when I caught a pair of gray eyes watching from not so far.

My heart skipped a beat.

Kyle Riley.

Sitting by the window.

Staring at me.

Hurt.

Holy shit.

I diverted my eyes from her to Ian who probably have seen her awhile back. His face is stoic, holding no emotions as he looks at me.

"Babe," I heard Allie mumbled looking at me worriedly. I looked at her and cast a glance at the booth by the window.

She's gone.

But I know it wasn't a mirage.

vote, comment, follow and share if you feel the need to do so