Abscondation

You reached forward and touched the cold, dusty wall in which many of your kind and many of other variances were formed. It was the centre pinnacle of the kindergarten, and far above, there was a stretch of thin rock that created a walkway across the chasm and to an exiting place. But how would you make it up there? The catacombs decorating the large slab had been used to make much different gems, larger and wider than you were.
You wouldn't be able to climb it like this.
You stared up until your neck ached, and then looked down at the ground. In frustration, you kicked at the earth beneath your feet, sending the soil flying.
Soil?
You leaned down and buried your fingers in the dirt. It was a little bit dry, but could support life, if only with a little help. With a flutter of nervousness, a result of abstaining from your powers for so long, you began to concentrate hard on what you wished to create. It took a bit of waiting, but finally, from beneath the dirt, erupted a mass of tiny, braiding vines. They climbed up the rock waywardly, lacking the essential sunlight to automatically guide them, and you had to focus on where exactly you wanted them to stem to.
It took a while, but eventually they reached the flat portion of the rock high above.
You grasped the vines and began to scale them, trying your best not to look down and imagine falling and shattering yourself when you were so close to freedom.
With a quiet grunt, you planted your feet here and there until finally falling flat on the top of the rock. You caught your breath, wiping the sweat from your forehead.
You sat up and peered across the small suspended pathway that led to a large, dark opening you suspected was the way out.
But suddenly, the darkness was penetrated by a red light, and you instantly recognized what was gliding around the corner towards you.
A robonoid.
You gasped, pushing yourself up, not sure what to do to save yourself.
"No, oh no, please." You whispered, breathing through your teeth and looking for a way out of your current predicament.
It was too late, you were going to be shattered.
The scoping beam lit, and it observed you from the head down until it found your off color gem.
You shielded yourself futilely.
As the laser was warming up, there came a loud
'Crack!'
And the robonoid went flying to the left, disoriented for a moment.
"Come here, run! Hurry!" A voice called to you.
You looked across to the person with wild eyes, but your feet immediately acted and you bolted across the  crossway. There was an arm around you and it urged you forward and out of the kindergarten.