Jewelry and Reality Checks

Start from the beginning

"I wasn't using you when we had sex, Dani," I growled, but stopped myself before I could say too much. There was so much I could say. But I was a fucking coward. Plain and simple. 

"Hey daddy, why is mommy crying? Oh! Don't worry, honey, it's just because daddy only likes mommy when he wants to get his fucking dick wet!" she screamed back as tears flowed down her reddened cheeks before she threw the bedroom door open and made her grand exit. I slumped back down on the bed, cradling my face in my hands. Wow, I really fucked up this time.

I eventually got the balls to leave my bedroom and go find her. When I did, she was in the kitchen, crying over a pan on the stove as she cooked herself breakfast.

"Dani," I murmured, trying to gain her attention so I could try and give her somewhat of an explanation.

"Just leave me alone, Brock. Please. Just fucking leave me alone unless either one of us is going through some dire emergency. I don't feel well. I called Dr. Anderson and she said our arguments are likely causing me excess stress. It's not good for me or the baby. Just...just leave me alone," she pleaded quietly before going back to cooking, completely ignoring me. Just the mere idea that I could be the cause of a complication with her or our child's health was the biggest fucking blow to the balls. And all because I was simply being myself.

If that didn't say all it needed to about the kind of man I'd become, I wasn't sure what did.

**

"Yes, Ma, my bags are packed and I'm getting in the car as we speak," I rattled off as I held my phone in the crook of my neck while loading Dani and my luggage into the SUV. I still had yet to figure out how to break it to my mother that I was bringing along my six-and-a-half month pregnant...whatever Dani was to me; my baby mama I guess. It also didn't help that we hadn't been on good terms since our fight a month ago. That was surely going to make this trip even more strained than it was already going to be.

"Promise you'll call me at every stop you make. I want you to keep me updated on how far along you are on the trip." My mom responded. It could've been considered a request, but I knew better than that. There was always an underlying command to my mom's questions when she wanted something. That, and all of us kids knew better than to go against what she wants - unless we wanted to put up with our father's wrath.

"Yes, I promise. I've got to get going or I'm going to get behind on time since I decided to drive." I reasoned.

"I still don't understand why you're not flying instead. It's such a long drive," my mom muttered. I just ignored the probing question. It was irrational considering flying during pregnancy was completely safe until about thirty-seven weeks, but neither Dani or I wanted to take a chance. I just mumbled a quick I love you in reply and hung up.

"So, you're not going to give her a heads up that you're bringing me along?" Dani asked curiously, giving me a look with a single raised brow before shutting her car door. I didn't have much of a chance to reply to her question as I finished loading the car. I released a puff of breath from my lips before shutting the back hatch and finally getting into the driver's side. Fantastic, the first thing she says to me after weeks of silence is about keeping her a secret.

"No, I'm not. The situation would sound a hell of a lot worse over text messages than face-to-face," I stated before starting up the vehicle and pulling out of my apartment complex. There was no good time to leave due to the never-ending traffic of the city. By the time we finally managed to reach the interstate, Dani was already complaining of her lower back hurting and her bladder being full.

"I'll pull over at the next station I see," I reasoned, trying to put her mind at ease.

"There! You just passed one, turn around!" she demanded while pointing out her window.