Aww hell no!

This world looked alien to her.  The edges of the trees, houses and people standing around her were sharp, even the individual blades of grass were clearly defined.  The sound rushed at her ears, assaulting her relentlessly and she winced; twitching her ears.

Wait a second … twitching ears?

Sam trailed her gaze along all her family members standing around her in a loose circle.  Feeling uncomfortable she shrugged her body absentmindedly as she tried to figure out why everybody seemed to be taller than usual.  This all took her only a few seconds at the most, and she lifted her hand to them.

When a paw came into view, she started freaking out.  Because she had lifted her hand-slash-paw, she was unprepared for the sudden loss of balance and not knowing how to correct it, she cried out in dismay as she sank to the ground in a heap; her cry sounded disturbingly like a squawk to her.

Brian moved closer instantly to offer her the support she needed.  “It’s OK honey.  I know everything is a bit strange right now, but I promise you; soon everything is going to be so much better than you could imagine.”

The teeny wolf in front of him cocked her head at him and her eyes widened.

{Mate!}

{I know that dummy.}  No matter how obvious the voice in her head was, Sam saw Brian with new eyes; and everything about him appealed to her.  Every.  Little.  Thing.  About.  Him.

{You might have known that; but I have not been part of you until now.}  The voice huffed at her and Sam would have rolled her eyes, but they had much better things to do right now.  Like checking out her mate.  Her very good looking, edible looking and oh so handsome mate.

Shivers ran up and down her spine, heating her up until it felt like she was breaking out in a fever.

The change in her scent hit him like a freight train and it made him growl softly, warningly and she growled back at him; baring her wide row of teeth at him.  Brian blinked his eyes rapidly as he tried to keep up with how drastically things were changing for him and Sam right now; but her scent made it hard to concentrate on anything for longer than a few moments at a time.

His mind kept coming back to one fact only; and that was that this cheeky little wolf had gone into mating heat.  The logical side of his mind knew that she should not be having this kind of reaction, no matter how enjoyable it was.  A stray thought crossed his mind and he latched onto it with both hands.  This wolf had not been part of Sam when he had claimed her when they went on their honeymoon.

A wide grin appeared on his face.  He was going to have to claim her all over again!

“Aww hell no!  That is so gross dad!”  Graham protested when unguarded emotions from Brian cascaded throughout the whole family gathering.  “Keep it PG rated will you!”

The adults all snickered when both Brian and Sam growled at him.

When their laugher calmed down, Brian knelt down beside Sam.  “I suppose you know now that you are a wolf?”

[Duh!]  Her sarcastic voice filled his head and if he hadn’t been on his knees, his legs would have given out under him as relief washed through him as he heard her sweet voice again.  Instead, he sat down and dragged her onto his lap and held her tightly.

[I thought I was going to lose you.]

[What happened?]  Sam asked as she nuzzled his side and breathed in deeply to get her fill of his scent that was so new and intoxicating.

[Do you remember the accident?]

[Accident?]

In a few short words Brian recounted the events leading up to her waking up as a wolf.