Chapter 19

I sat in my car in Alexander Hoffman's driveway repeating what I would say to him over and over in my head. "I can do this." I convinced myself as I got out of the car.

Before I even knocked on the door it opened, "You came." Alexander greeted me in a surprised tone.

"Of course," I said confidently as I stepped into the house. Alexander closed the door behind me and I followed him back to the office. It felt eerie being in this house at night. I don't know if it was because of Alexander and everything I knew about him now or if the house generally had an eerie feel.

I sat across from Alexander at his desk.

"Thank you for cooperating," he said with an encouraging smile. "I can honestly say I wasn't sure if you would tell us where they are."

I didn't respond. I definitely wasn't going to say you're welcome.

"Is something wrong?" he asked curiously.

"Can I ask you a question?"

"Sure."

I had to phrase this in a way that wouldn't make him suspicious, "Why is it that," I paused and then threw in, "And I have to say I find this very intriguing," that was a lie. "Audrey and Rob think you're their father?" You didn't take them in when they were younger so I don't understand how they didn't already know you weren't really related."

A twisted smile appeared on his face and he tapped his temple with his index finger suggestively. "I made them think they were."

That left a bad taste in my mouth. "I'm sorry you lost me."

"You are not the only talented mind you know."

"You're a mediator too?"

He laughed, "If I were a mediator I wouldn't need your help." He cleared his throat, "I can manipulate thoughts." He grinned.

I felt myself go pale as I tried to hide a grimace.

"Don't worry," he chuckled, "It doesn't work on mediators." That didn't exactly make my any happier about it.

"So why am I here?" I asked icily.

Alexander raised his eyebrows at my tone, "I just wanted to see how you were coping." He said slyly.

"I'm fine," I said indifferently. I looked at the clock on the wall behind Alexander and he followed my gaze.

"It is late you should really get going. I'll walk you out." He rose from his chair.

I stepped out on to the doorstep and then turned to face Alexander, "I have another question."

He nodded.

"Where are their parents?"

He shrugged, "Probably dead by now."

I tried not to let that affect my confidence, "Where did you find them?"

He laughed, "You ask a lot of questions." He commented.

"I just want to know more about the people I'm helping." If that wasn't a hint I did know what else could have been. Alexander glared at me for a minute and I felt like making a break for my car. What if he was on to me? Rob and Audrey were probably half way to New York by now and I was here alone with one of their hunters. The glare faded from Alexander's face and was replaced with a dark smile.