Chapter 15

I could hear the uneasiness in his voice as he asked me why I was crying. Everything Rob had told me was still sinking in, but I knew that if what I was about to tell him had anything to do with soul reapers I couldn't tell him here. It wasn't safe.

"We have to go back," I said, clearing my throat attempting to compose myself.

The look on Rob's face was perplexed. I couldn't tell what he was thinking. He looked worried, sympathetic, and a little angry maybe.

He didn't say a word. I saw him reach to turn the key in the ignition. "Wait!" I bellowed.

"What?" he replied frantically.

"It's almost five a.m." I pointed out. "I can't not be home when my mom wakes up, she'll call the cops!"

Rob groaned in protest. He knew I was formulating a plan.

"Just give me a minute," I said, wiping the almost-dried tears from my eyes as I got out of his car and bolted towards the house.

I went to the counter next to the sink where the phone sits. I grabbed a Post-It and a pen from the drawer and wrote,

Mom,

I went to school early. We have graduation rehearsals today.

Love,

Cassie

I put the note on the table where I knew she would see it. We really weren't having rehearsals, but I didn't think she knew that, and it was the only excuse I could think of off the top of my head.

I ran quickly back to Rob's car. As soon as I was in, he sped off back to the empty house.

I was surprised he didn't try to question me on the way back. Maybe he had an idea of what this was all about. "Slow down!" I hissed when I realized how fast he was driving.

"Sorry," he apologized as the speedometer dropped to fifty-five. I was pretty sure he was off in his own little world right now.

Since it was kind of a long drive back, I decided I should try and get some sleep. I leaned back against the black leather seat and hesitated before closing my eyes. I had to remind myself that I wasn't going to have a dream because I had been with Rob all this time. There was nothing to see. With that in mind, I slowly closed my eyes. I felt myself dose off quickly. I was comfortable. For the first time in what seemed like a long time, I felt like I might actually get a good night's sleep.

All too quickly though I was back in that weakened state of mind. I wasn't in control of myself anymore. Panic took over again.

I heard too many things at once. They were voices and they were talking about me. I didn't like them. They sounded creepy. The most inhumane voices I have ever heard. Deep, loathing, with an air of authority and a cackle hidden in the tone. I tried to cover my ears but I could still hear them.

"The girl, did you see the girl?" one voice said with a disgusting sound of pure delight.

"Not clearly." A similar voice replied.

"Well make the connection stronger next time, damn you!" the first voice bellowed.

"We're connected, sir," the second voice said.

"And you still can't see the girl?"

"No." he paused, "but she can hear us."

"Oh, good," the first voice exulted with an appreciative laugh.

I felt like I was being corrupted. Yes, I could hear them but I didn't want to.

I felt the car accelerate again beneath me, and with it, I felt the weakness in me slip away. Unbearably, I also felt two jolts of pain accompanied by static; and then it was over.