Chapter 13

It was the last week of school. The graduation ceremony was on Saturday afternoon. Unfortunately, it was only Monday.

"Where's Rob?" Hailey asked me during lunch.

I shrugged. "I don't know. I haven't seen him in about a week."

"It's kind of late in the year to be ditching, don't you think?"

"I guess so." I wasn't really interested in talking about Rob. Not now that Kyle and I were officially a couple.

"So are we still on for tonight?" Hailey changed the subject.

"Yeah; we'll meet you and Justin at the theater." I said.

Hailey and I had made plans for a double date at the movies tonight. Hailey and Justin weren't officially dating, but they kind of unofficially were.

Justin chimed in to our conversation. "So what are we seeing?" he asked. "It better not be that new chick flick." He warned.

"I don't even want to see that." I assured him.

"How about that new thriller flick," Justin suggested.

"No!" Hailey yelled.

"You can hold my hand." Justin offered.

Hailey smiled.

"I don't think it's supposed to be scary. I think it's a mystery, not a thriller. It's called The Secrets of Harbor Glenn. How scary can it be?"

"Fine. But don't laugh if I cover my eyes." Hailey said.

"Fair enough." Justin replied.

"Dude, I so want to see that movie!" Conner interjected.

"Do you guys mind if we join you?" Ashley asked.

Hailey, Justin, and I exchanged looks.

"It's fine with me." Hailey said.

When I got to English at the end of the day, Rob wasn't there. It's not like he had never missed school before. I just hoped that this time he wasn't ditching to avoid me. He wasn't missing much. Mrs. Parker just let us hang out sign yearbooks the entire period. So, I talked to a few people and signed a few yearbooks.

About a half-hour into the period an office aide came into the class and handed Mrs. Parker a slip. Mrs. Parker looked down at it and then looked back up at the class as the office aide left the room.

"Cassie Wood." She called.

My heart stopped for a second. I had never gotten called down to the office before. I didn't do anything. I really hoped I wasn't in any kind of trouble; not now. I got up and walked to Mrs. Parker's desk, taking the green slip from her. I left the room accompanied by the "ooo's" and "ah's" of my teasing peers.

When I was outside the room, I examined the slip. It was a hall pass excusing me from class. I thought it was some kind of joke, so I was planning on going back to class, and I jumped when I heard someone whisper my name loudly from around the corner.

"Cassie," the voice hissed.

I walked around the corner, and Rob was standing there against the wall

I narrowed my eyes. "What are you doing here?"

"Shhh! Be quiet!" he said darkly.

"Why are we whispering?" I hissed.

"I'm not supposed to be here."

"Why not?" I asked.

He looked at me like I was stupid. "I'm supposed to be sick. If I get caught ditching..." he broke off.