(Un)Familiar

Of course. This was just her luck. Couldn't he have chosen someone else? Her stomach uncomfortably clenching, Lena glanced over to her friend, who, to her dismay, only nodded encouragingly. "Go," she whispered. "This is so exciting!"

"I'd rather not," she mumbled back, annoyed that Jessica did not share her wariness. "Who knows what I'm going to summon."

A smile that reflected pretense compassion played around Jessica's lips as she shook her head, obviously pitying her friend. "Come on," she sighed. "What's do you think is going to happen? Lupin is right here."

That didn't reassure Lena at all, but nevertheless, she gathered all her bravery and with shaky legs, she left her seat and cautiously went over to her professor, who was already awaiting her with a wide grin.

"Don't worry," he winked. "No need to be afraid. Remember how to do it?"

Lena stared at her wand and stammered a "Yes, Professor."

"Perfect. Then go ahead."

The class was so quiet, Lena could hear her own quickened heartbeat. She took a deep breath and attempted to remember a situation in which she had felt insecure and desperate for help, but she couldn't think of anything, her mind was completely blank. She simply tried too hard. Lupin noticed her dilemma and said, "Relax, Ms. Flowers. It's not like anyone is going to eat you." He was the only one who laughed at the joke. "Just focus on the task at hand instead of your fear. I promise you'll be okay."

Lena nodded briefly and concentrated. And there, it didn't take long until she saw the Potions Master's grim face in front of her inner eye, scowling at her with such contempt that her heart suddenly felt much too heavy in her chest. She had to swallow very hard in order to fight back the tears that were already making her vision blurry. Quickly, to get this more than upsetting situation over with, she flicked her wand, demanding her voice to utter the spell. "Paracletus adventum!"

Everyone, including Professor Lupin, gaped at the dense, black smoke that was slowly forming in the center of the room. Lena forgot to breathe when she noticed that it was not glittery at all; it was so unlike the bright, sparkly cloud her classmate had managed to evoke. This one was dark, gloomy, and its aura emitted something Lena couldn't grasp, but it sure made her blood run terribly cold. What had she just summoned?

"That should be interesting," she heard Lupin mutter under his breath, his usually laid-back attitude had shifted dramatically. Was the Defense Against The Dark Arts teacher tense?

Lena didn't have time to think about that, since the smoke suddenly lifted and with a dull plop, four huge paws, armed with long, pointed claws, landed gracefully on the stone floor.

Several girls screamed and jumped off their chairs, the rest gasped in fear at the sight before them.

Its silky black fur reflecting the dim light that illuminated the room, a panther snuck elegantly around the room, bright yellow eyes taking in its new surroundings with suspicion. Armin, Slytherin's best Quidditch player, who was seated closest to the large feline, thought it wise to escape the animal's proximity and stood rather abruptly in order to back up. Unfortunately, his hasty movements made the chair tip over, and with a loud bang it instantly drew the panther's attention toward him. With smooth elegance, the creature lowered its large body onto the stone floor, ready to pounce. A deafening roar left its mouth, revealing immaculate white, razor-sharp fangs. The boy froze, horror widened his brown eyes.

What had Lupin said? No one is going to eat you, huh? This wasn't happening! It couldn't! How on earth could this be Lena's familiar? It was too dangerous, too wild, too scary. Petrified, she stared at the professor, who was struggling to retain his composure.

"Um ..." He cleared his throat, meticulously trying to avoid any sudden or noisy movements. "That sure is an impressive familiar you got there." His statement was meant to lighten the mood but of course failed its purpose entirely.

"Sir," she breathed, unable to calm her hammering heart. "What am I supposed to do?"

Lupin did his best to appear in full control over the situation, as he watched anxiously how the feline bared its teeth at the group of students huddled in the far corner of the room. "Well, make it disappear. Egredio. You know, like the squirrel."

It took Lena all the strength and courage she had to lift her wand and point it at the animal. "Egredio!"

Everyone waited for the black smoke to engulf the familiar, but nothing happened.

"Again!" Lupin ordered sternly.

Lena tried once more. And a third time. The panther, however, was still there. Another roar escaped its throat, as it spotted the open door that led to the corridors. Jessica and Lena hadn't closed it.

Growling threateningly, the panther leapt through the exit and into freedom.

As soon as it was out of sight, Lena's legs gave in and she sank onto the cold floor, sobbing uncontrollably.

Jessica was at her side in an instant, hugging her. "It's okay, Lena. It is gone."

"Nothing is okay," the professor hissed. "Class is dismissed." Lupin shouted over the agitated voices that filled the room. "Go straight to your common rooms. I do not want to hear of any adventure seekers. Not a single one. Are we understood?"

The group nodded in unison and spilled hastily into the hallway.

"Come Lena," Jessica said, trying to lift her friend off the floor. "Let's get you out of here."

"No," the teacher spat, obviously as distraught as they were. "She is coming with me."

"What?" Lena stared at him blankly. How could he ask such a thing of her after what happened? Didn't he see how upset she was? All she wanted was to return to the Slytherin dorms and hide in her bed. Where was she supposed to go with him anyway? Hunt it down?

"I need you to accompany me to the Headmaster," he flatly stated, mindlessly brushing over his mustache. "There is a panther on the loose. In our castle, for crying out loud! We need to inform Dumbledore. I have no idea why the Egredio spell failed, but one thing I know. You are the only one who is able to control the cat."

"No," Lena whimpered, finally getting back up on her feet. "Did you not see that I was powerless? I cannot control it. I should have never summoned it in the first place. I knew it was a bad idea."

"You're mistaken, my dear. It is your animal, it will obey you. You just have to try. Or do you want to endanger the safety of each and every student here at Hogwarts by simply burying your head in the sand and waiting for things to unfold?"

She bit her lip. Of course she didn't want anyone to get harmed because of her failure to muster the little bit of courage she had. So, she closed her eyes and let out a tortured groan. "Fine."

Jessica's forehead displayed deep wrinkles as she frowned at her best friend. "You can't possibly agree to chase after that monster! That's suicide!"

"Ms. Owens," Professor Lupin tilted his head impatiently. "Please return to your common room. Ms. Flowers will join you later."

As she attempted to stare him down in anger, he smiled and added, "Safe and sound, I promise."

Looking again at Lena, who just shrugged her shoulders in defeat, Jessica turned her back on the pair and stormed out.