"What're you doin' here?"
I asked Emma once the nicotine had began to soak into my system, marginally setting my nerves at ease.
Emma glanced up from her task of rolling her own smoke.
"I was at the accident scene Blayze."
Her voice was almost nervous.
"I came to..."
She looked away, stuffing the pouch and whatnot back into her jeans pocket.
"Check on you I guess."
She muttered, dropping her gaze to the cement floor we were currently standing on.
Check on Me?
I moved back to lean backwards against the brick wall of the outside of the hospital.
"I'm not the one who was in the crash."
I told her and lifted my cigarette to take a drag.
The fucking nicotine wasn't doing what it once seemed to.
My heart was still pounding.
My knee's felt weak.
My chest felt compressed.
"I was there Blayze."
Emma turned to face me.
"At the bridge you weren't okay."
I laughed bitterly, completely without humour.
"Oh I'm fucking excellent."
I tossed the remainder of the cigarette onto the ground and stomped it out with the toe of my boot.
"I'm here for you."
Emma stepped forward.
I snapped my eyes up from the cigarette I was butting out, to Emma's face.
Her eyes were wide, almost pleading as she looked up at mine.
"Whatever you need."
She whispered, stopping a mere couple of steps or so in front of me.
Whatever I need?
I pushed off from the wall and that brought me to standing a mere foot or less in front of Emma.
She tipped her head back slightly so she could keep looking into my eyes as I looked down on her, my mind positively reeling.
Her breath hitched.
I could see it in the slight rise of her chest.
Her pink lips parted.
"What I want..."
I clenched my jaw.
"You can't make happen."
I turned on my heel and headed back into the hospital.
I didn't fucking want to be here.
But I'd never forgive myself for not being there to hear the Doctors' verdict when it finally came.
I owed her that fucking much.
"Blayze! Wait!"
I heard Emma's hurrying footsteps behind me.

Doctor Nate Legend

As a Doctor, I'm supposed to be impartial to each situation and focus on my Medical Training in order to save lives.
But, working in a small town Hospital for the last couple of years had chipped away at a part of that mentality which had been drilled into me during Medical School.
It wasn't usually a case of seeing somebody long enough to get them healthy and then never seeing them again.
Bailey Harley was a person.
She was a person I'd seen many times over the last couple of years.
I know how much her Family loves her.
How much her Fiancé does.
I know that she's got a year old Son depending on her and that she's in her third trimester of carrying twins.
They haven't even found out the genders yet.
I also know that she was scheduled for her follow up appointment with Doctor Mercy the Skin Specialist today.
She never showed up.
Then I'd been called up to CICU and upon entering Bay Two, I discovered a familiar, heavily pregnant unconscious blonde sprawled out on the bed, bright red blood staining the sheets.
Heart rate monitors had been going nuts for excruciatingly long minutes now.
She was crashing what felt like every five seconds, her BP plummeting.
I knew that half of her family and her fiancé were out in the waiting room, praying for her and awaiting answers.
"Hit her with a shot of adrenaline!"
I ordered a nearby Nurse, rushing around to the other side of the medical bed.
The Nurse scurried forward, arranging a needle as she moved at speed.
She inserted the needle into the tube that was running into Bailey's arm and I snapped my gaze to the screen that was measuring Bailey's vital signs.
Within a couple of seconds the lines leveled out, the continual beep's becoming more regular.
My heart pounded with relief.
But the problem was, her see-sawing between stable and crashing hinted at trouble.
Biting into my lower lip, I looked down to Bailey's swollen stomach.
My gut was telling me the twins were probably part of what was causing Bailey's unstable condition.
"IV?"
A Nurse questioned.
I blinked.
My job was to save my patient.
"IV."
I agreed.
"Then we need to run a scan on her insides and her Babies."
I instructed.
Another Nurse's head snapped my way.
"There's more than one?"
She queried.
"Twins."
I told her.
"How do you know that?"
Another Nurse asked, fiddling with a length of intravenous tube.
"She's been a patient of mine throughout her pregnancy."
I explained.
"Now let's move it! We need to find out what's going on!"
The Nurse's hustled into gear, going about their tasks.
Bailey was currently stable, but I couldn't be sure that would last.
We needed to find out what was going on ASAP.