Unexpectedly-23

Chapter Twenty-Three

"Leo," came a whisper.

I furrowed my eyebrows and pulled Chelsea closer to my chest.

"Leo," came the whisper again, but this time it was closer.

I squinted before opening my eyes.

"Chelsea?"

"I had a bad dream. Could you stay up and talk to me?"

"What happened?"

"You don't have to though. I'm just scared," she said quietly.

"What happened?" I repeated as I sat up and turned on the lamp next to my side of the bed before pulling Chelsea up to me.

"I just had a bad dream," she answered, laying down on my shirtless chest.

I ran my fingers through her hair and sighed.

"Do you want to talk about it?"

Chelsea nodded.

"I just don't know how to start it," she said.

"Tell me the first thing you think of," I said.

"Dark and cold. Chills," she answered.

"What's there?"

"I'm alone. I'm afraid," she whispered.

"Of what?"

"I don't know. I just feel scared. Nobody was there. It was dark and quiet. It felt ominous and scary," she said.

"Don't worry. I'm right here with you," I said, kissing the top of her head.

"Leo, then I saw my dad. He was dying," she whimpered.

"What?"

"I know I haven't talked about him to you before, but he went into the army too. But unlike you, he never came back. I always have nightmares. Leaving my mom behind in Washington alone and coming here to stay. I worry about her. She and my dad were so in love. But, he never came back," she said brokenly.

What do I do? Should I tell her about her dad? I can't, but her words. It hurts her so much and it's killing me.

"Chelsea?"

"Yeah?"

"Have you ever heard that dreams are the opposites in reality?"

"No. What do you mean by that?" she said quietly, looking up at me.

"What I mean is, you dreaming that your dad is dying is like the opposite in reality. He is probably somewhere out there, waiting and wanting to come back," I said, looking into her eyes.

"You think so?"

"Babe, I hate seeing you hurt, but we can only hope. You shouldn't give your hopes up," I said sincerely.

"Thank you," she whispered, kissing my chest.

"I love you so much," I said, kissing the side of her head.

"I love you so much too," Chelsea smiled, looking up.

I leaned in and kissed her lips softly and sweetly before turning off the lamp and going back to sleep with her head on my chest and my arms around her.

**

Chelsea's P.O.V.

"Good morning," Leo said, walking in the bedroom in only just a towel that is hanging dangerously low from his hips.