The man who was scared to open his eyes

Hello! It doesn't matter what my name is but today I will tell you a story which helped me overcome my biggest fear - water. Until the age of fourteen I was scered to swim in the sea  ( even in a swimming pool for kids) and when it was time for shower I had panic attacks. My parents sent me to talk to a psychologist but with no result. Right now I love water and even go diving every summer. So do you want to know what "cured" me?
it was one sunny July morning. I was walking my dog near the city lake. His name is Buddha. He enjoys playing in the lake and does it every time but that particular day after coming out from the water he came to me and shook his body. There was so much water on me! I panicked and started screaming. An old man with a cane came to ask me what was going on. I explained to him about my water problem. He started giggling and told me "Oh, dear, let me tell you a story about a man who could hear everything but dared not open his eyes." I had never met this man before, but I saw in his eyes that he had good intentions so I got interested what this story was about. He started talking" Once upon a time there was a baby whose eyes were seen by no-one because refused to open them. It was a boy of two doctors and they had tried everything to make him open his eyes but with no result. The little boy did everything as a normal child - played with a ball, drew, danced with his friends but with closed eyes.
Years passed and the baby turned into a handsome lad. He was gifted with an angelic voice and people from his town called him "The child of Stevie Wonder".
One day he was alone in the park only with his can and was enjoying the sunny weather. He even started singing quietly from happiness. " Here comes the sun, tara-ta-taa." Suddenly he felt that there was someone next to him and froze. The mysterious person said " Oh, no, please don't stop! I love this song of The Beatles". It was the beautiful voice of a girl. She continued " Alright, shy boy, I will sing with you". And they started singing together.
They sang, then talked, then sang again till noon. She always said " I promise, I will be the first one to see the colour of your eyes" and the boy only laughed.
One day the girl didn't show up. Even the day after. He tried to find her but in vain.
After a few weeks he received a letter. It was from his singing girl but with very sad news. She was terminally ill and could die any time.
The boy's heart was broken. He rushed with his cane to her house. When he reached, he went into her room and took her hand. She told him in a shaking voice " Please, see me for the first and last time. Please!" He shook his head and said " I am so sorry. I am too scared." She told him with her last efforts " If you truly love me, please, let me see the colour of your eyes" but the only thing he said was " I can't" and at that moment the girl passed away. The end".
I was shocked. " What?? No! How could he be so stupid? No... There must have been a happy end afterwards." The old man told me " No, that is the whole story". I was furious and said "He spent his whole life in a stupid fear of the world!" The old man told me with a smile " You see, if you don't learn how to love water, you will be just like him".
Then he stood up and disappeared.
From that moment I decided to be brave and become the biggest fan of the water. But every day I ask myself one thing " Is it possible that this story is actually the life-story of the old man who told it?"
You may ask "Why?"
Well, because it was engraved on his cane the sentence " Forever loving the singing girl which I never saw".
What do you think?