Six

"Hi, Maura," I smiled, getting into the car like I had a week previous.

"Hi, honey. How are you?" she asked, backing out of her parking space.

"I'm good," I smiled. "Today's been good," I said, more to myself than either her or Niall.

"That's wonderful." I looked up at the smile she always seemed to have for me.

For the rest of the car ride, Niall talked and laughed with his mom, and I stared out the window, grateful to be left alone to think a little. School always preoccupied my mind while I was in it, but afterwards, I wanted nothing to do with it. I thought about the stories I wanted to write when I got home; how they would go, what would happen, who would do what, the certain smile the main character would give her love interest to tell him that she was very, very interested in him. I smiled to myself when the story idea was complete.

I hopped out of the car, slinging my backpack over my shoulder. I was in a spectacular mood, but as usual, I had no one to share that with. I mean, I don't think Niall would want to hear about the spites of the characters I hoped to transfer to paper, or all of the things I wanted to do with my life. I stayed quiet, and we followed the same routine as the previous Friday.

"If you don't want anything to eat, why don't you go outside and start with out me?" Niall suggested. I nodded, stopping myself from untying my shoes as I stood by the front door. I led myself outside, grabbing the ball. I spun it around in my hands for a few seconds, thinking of a song to sing. When the perfect one came to mind, I smiled.

I shot one basket, breathing in, and missed. I frowned.

"I look and stare so deep in your eyes, I touch on you more and more every time. When you leave I'm begging you not to go, call your name two, three times in a row," I started, making two baskets in the correct formation.

"Got me looking so crazy right now, you're love's got me looking so crazy right now," I belted, completely forgetting where I was. By the end of the chorus, I was doing the choreographed dance that went along with the song. I laughed at my craziness when I heard the door open.

I looked up, only to meet Niall's eyes. I swallowed nervously, hoping he hadn't seen the booty popping I had just done.

"Hey," he spoke, descending the steps off the porch. "Was that you?" he asked me, motioning for me to throw the ball. He took it and shot from where he was, which was impressive.

"W-was what me?" I wondered stupidly. He glanced at me, and I got the rebound of the ball, not even blinking. I caught it again and held it, looking back to him like I was innocent.

"The singing. What was that? Beyoncé?" I tried to look somewhat surprised.

"Oh. Yeah. You listen to her?" I asked, dribbling the ball abit.

"Well, I mean, who doesn't?" he asked, chuckling a little in the middle. I smiled, throwing him the ball. He shot it towards the hoop, but missed. The ball rolled into the grass off to the side, and I waited for him to say more.

"But no. You were really good," I heard him say. I looked up at him and blushed.

"You weren't supposed to hear that," I uttered, laughing nervously. He shrugged.

"Okay. Let's work on passing and feigning," he said. I ran to grab the ball, slipping off my jacket. It was hot out, and it wasn't even the middle of May yet. Coupling the heat with the insane amount of humidity, and I was already needing hydration.

"Yellow really isn't your color." I looked down at my shirt and then up at his scowl, taken out of my thoughts.

I wanted to glare at him and walk away, but I knew he wasn't trying to offend me. Right?