Chapter 4

Disclaimer I don't know how citizenships really work in said countries. And I know nothing of law. I am just an Asian artist who loves fanfics :D

Chapter 4

The air was tense in the apartment. Kara and Winn were staring at the two men while James was continuing his pursuit.

"Admit it!" James exclaimed, "She's your sister. That's why your here. That's why you're defending Cat Grant for this case. So you can let her go scot free."

Sebastian crossed his arms and raised his eyebrow.

"And what, pray tell has lead you into that conclusion." Sebastian exasperated. a hint of an accent was surfacing. "Sharing the same last name with the accused does not make me a liability to this case."

"Guys, come on this is getting out of hand." Kara said. "They share the same last name that doesn't automatically make them related."

"Then explain this." James said pulling out a picture in his phone.

"Let me see that." Kara said grabbing the phone off James' hand.

It was a picture by the Eiffel tower in the middle of winter. There were two teenagers, a boy and a girl, heavily equipped with winter gear. The boy was obviously a younger Sebastian. While the girl...

"It's Siobhan." James confirmed. "With Sebastian. At first, I thought that you were dating. Then I realized that they share the same surname. And I did a little background check. Sebastian here has a dual citizenship. An EU Citizenship."

"Oh so it's a crime to be born in a different country now?"

"Siobhan Smythe is the same. Dual Citizenship in both EU and the US." James accused. "So are we getting warmer? Both European Citizens, both studied in the States, and both sharing the same last name."

"Is it my turn yet?" Sebastian asked mockingly.

"Sure. Explain against all the evidence that proves what you're doing."

Sebastian pushed lightly off the wall he was leaning on and stood with his hands clasped forward ready for his counterassault.

"Yes, I was born in France which is technically part of European Union. My mother is French. While my father is American with Irish descent."

"Ha!"

"However," Sebastian interjected. "That does not make Siobhan my sister. The surname Smythe is quite common in places like London and even here in the States."

"How does that explain the fact that you know Siobhan?"

"Siobhan's ancestors originated from Ireland." Sebastian explained. "I barely know her."

"The picture." Winn insisted.

"There's a picture of me with Siobhan because she's my cousin." Sebastian explained slowly as if talking to a child.

"Cousins?" Kara repeated skeptically

"Cousins." Sebastian confirmed. "So let's review shall we. Not my sister, my cousin. I was born in France and with an American Father; I managed to attain a dual citizenship similar to Siobhan. Siobhan was born here in the states with Irish roots, which I assume is how she attained a European citizenship. And there is one more flaw in your case."

"And what is that?"

"Cat Grant went looking for me." Sebastian said sharply. "She asked my father for a recommendation for a lawyer after your old General Council quit. Coincidentally, I was the youngest and best in my age group currently at the law firm. So how can I purposely sabotage a case I didn't know until I arrived into the scene?"