Chapter 9: Withdrawls

Start from the beginning

I didn't know why she was thinking about it, when she asked me. 

Finally, she exhaled and walked around the car to the passenger's side and opened the door before sliding into the car.

"If you didn't want to ride with me, why'd you ask? "I question slightly annoyed.

"Huh?" she says a perplexed look on her face as she gazed over at me.

"You stood there for about five minutes thinking and I assume you were trying to debate on whether or not you wanted to ride with me."

She frowned at me, my words surprising her. I was done with sugar coating shit for her.

"Landon... " She paused looking away.  "I was trying to figure out how I should apologize to you," she mumbled. 

My head jerked back against the seat in surprise.   I was a little shocked and more than a little confused.  What did she want to apologize to me for?

"Apologize? "

"Yeah." She turned back to me, a look of uncertainty crossed her face as she looked over at me.  "I'm sorry for being such a bitch to you.   I'm not use to this,  I guess I wasn't ready to face the fact that I have feelings other than lust for you Landon and I was so worried about trusting you that I didn't see me hurting you."

"One, don't call yourself a bitch and second Kayla I'm not... exactly hurt -" She gave me a look that told me she knew I was lying.  I was hurt, shit.   That was the first time a girl had ever broken things off with me and the first time I'd caught feelings for "said girl". I was fucking devastated. 

Yet the devastation was short lived because then the problems with my mom began occuring.  The custody battle took up most of my time so I stayed preoccupied. 

"Okay I was hurt, but there's no need for an apology, " I assured her, turning forward and realizing that I hadn't even turned on my car. 

I push my keys into the ignition and turn on the car.

"I'm really sorry Landon, I didn't know I was leading you on. I apologize for that as well,  I did come on to you.   I shouldn't have done that and then make it seem like you were the one in the wrong.  I was.  Can we be friends?  Without the benefits?"

Friends without the benefits sounded like a bad idea. It was a bad idea, but, on the other hand, I felt the need to be close to Kayla in any way possible all the time.   I wanted to touch her and taste her and feel her. 

If I agreed to this friends deal then most likely it wouldn't work out.  We were too caught up in lust to even think about trying to be friends. 

I took a deep breath,  deliberating hard and long.   I wasn't sure about it, but I was sure that having no relationship with Kayla would put us back at the start where we were enemies and we constantly argued.  

We argued now, but it was different.  We were... Us or used to be Us and things between us had changed. Focusing on the road I don't respond.   I still didn't quite know what to say.  I sat in silence for several seconds,  minutes going over in my head what the beat choice would be.

"Friends, " I test the words out.  "Just Friends. " I smile and turn to her briefly.  "Yeah cool."  I quickly turn back to the road the car ride suddenly becoming quiet.  

Kayla was unpredictable.  I wasn't expecting the apology or the suggestion of friendship.  I was willing to go through with it, but only because I had my own agenda.   I was determined to get Kayla back and I knew becoming her friend was one step into the right direction.