Chapter Sixteen: Strength

The Legend of Zelda: Real Courage

Chapter Sixteen: Strength

Lila stayed silent for a long time. She rode Epona hard and fast, both to get home quickly and to avoid talking to Mori. She didn't quite understand what Zale had meant when he told her to have courage. Courage for what? Why did she need it? Why was he telling her she needed it? Why did the word give her so much warmth?

Once they reached Lord Ganondorf's castle, Lila gave Epona to one of the stablehands. That night she was too tired and bewildered to take care of her own horse. Thankfully, Mori didn't say a thing. She went to the kitchen to get something to eat, then went straight to bed. Mori, however, wouldn't leave to let her get dressed.

"You told him a lot."

Lila faced away from him. She sighed, "Yeah. I couldn't help myself. But at least he told me a lot as well."

"Is it true?"

"Is what true?"

"You don't know Lord Ganondorf isn't your father?"

The question was not the one Lila expected. She turned around and said, "So I was right."

Mori became frantic like he was guilty of something. "Right about what?"

"Nothing bad, stop freaking out," Lila replied calmly. She sat on her bed." Right about my parentage. Mori, do you know... was I kidnapped?"

Mori perched on the back of a chair at Lila's desk. "I don't know. Lord Ganondorf tells me fewer secrets than he does you. I just know he is not your biological father."

Lila had one other question, but she felt unable to ask. Mori might not even know the answer. She started with, "I think I was kidnapped. I can't imagine who would willingly give their child to Lord Ganondorf."

"You're probably right about that as well."

"Where..." she sighed and looked down. "Where are my real parents?"

"I'm afraid I don't know the answer to that, either. I'm sorry, Lila.She thought he was done, but then he said, "I've never seen you so happy than when you were with Zale."

Neither of them spoke. Lila had no idea how to respond to that, and Mori seemed to be done talking finally. He watched her, her head down and eyes dark. He wondered what was going through her head.

When he got tired of waiting, he flew out with the last words, "Get some sleep."

Around noon, Lila woke up well rested. She went to the dining hall for some lunch. Lord Ganondorf was there.

"I thought I heard something about you being here," he greeted. "How was Castle Town?"

Lila sat in her usual spot on his left, and a plate was brought to her. As she filled it with food, she replied, "Lazy. The guard is pathetic, and I found a way through the sewers all the way to the castle." She wasn't sure where in the castle, but she didn't want to tell Lord Ganondorf her guess.

The Dark Lord smiled. "Excellent. Any progress on the Boots of Sturdiness?"

Lila's mouth was full, so she shook her head. After swallowing, she said, "Castle Town took the whole day. I did get some supplies, though."

"What kind of supplies?"

"Bottles, bombs, oil, and a slingshot with ammo."

"You could have gotten all of those things here," Lord Ganondorf said.

Lila shrugged. "I didn't really think about it. Also, I didn't know we had slingshots."

"Well, that we don't have."

Lila finished her meal and said, "I need to get going."

Lord Ganondorf replied, "Then be gone."

She pushed in her chair and left. She hadn't noticed when, but Mori had joined her.

"Sounds like you caught him in a good mood."

"Yeah, lucky me. I didn't get killed for not having the boots yet."

"You're being dramatic."

"And?"

"Nothing."

"Let's get out of here."

Lila got Epona because she didn't know how far she needed to go. Plus it was nice to ride her through the town. The trip only took a little more than half an hour. She recognized the place because there was a giant boulder like an egg sitting on the ground. She could dimly make out the mountains on the other side of the valley.

"I hope the boots aren't under that."

"Actually, that's exactly it,Mori answered. She groaned, but he said, "That's what the Gauntlets of Strength are for."

Lila gave him a disbelieving look. "No way I can lift that."

"Dear, the gauntlets are magic."

She shook her head but got off Epona. "If you say so." She pulled on the gauntlets and walked up to the rock. She examined it doubtfully, then put her hands under it – which was easy to do. Just by using her fingers, she was able to make it wiggle enough to fit her hands. Then she lifted.

The boulder seemed to weigh nothing. She brought it right up above her head and saw a stairway. Then she dropped the rock off to the side. Epona got spooked and took off.

"That was weird!" Lila said, not at all worried about her mount. "C'mon, let's go."

"You're not afraid someone will trap us inside?"

Lila took off the gauntlets and waved them in Mori's face. "Who could possibly do that?"

"Fair point."

The two went down the stairs. At the bottom was a sun-bleached door. "I wonder," Lila said, "how long that boulder has been here."

"Who knows."

"However long, this has been here longer."

"How do you know?"

She gestured to the door. "This has been aged by sunlight. I have a feeling there's no sunlight under a boulder."

"Well aren't you the smart one."

Lila ignored him and pushed the door open.

"Let's find us some footwear."

A/N: Wooot! The Legend of Zelda: Real Courage has 100 votes! Woohoo! Thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you all so very very much. We're almost at the halfway point, and things get pretty hairy here soon. I hope you enjoy the rest of the story! Here's a SPOILER: Ganondorf sends Lila to capture Zale while he takes over Hyrule Castle. Gasp! This will happen within the next ten chapters.