7 | You've Been Hit By A Smooth Criminal

Start from the beginning

I spin around quickly to find a grinning Ethan standing behind me. "Of course!" I reply smoothly, putting on a bright smile to keeping a squeak of surprise from escaping my lips. "I told you I would come, didn't I?"

"You sure did," he chuckles. "Hey, you ladies look a little empty handed. Can I grab you a drink?" He asks, his eyes flickering over to Addison for a second, silently including her in the conversation.

"No thanks," Addy murmurs, her voice barely audible over the chatter of partygoers and the music.

"I'll take one, thanks. Surprise me," I smile as Ethan nods and retreats back in the direction of the barn. "You good, Addy?"

"I'm fine," she shrugs, returning to her normal, bubbly self fast enough to give me whiplash. "I'm driving, remember?"

"I don't mean that," I wave her off with a flick of my wrist. "I mean how you got all quiet and timid just now. And don't tell me you're shy. 'Cause you're not shy."

"I have no idea what you're talking about," she smiles, which only makes me glare at her.

Standing by the massive bonfire, I notice a significant bubble of space between the two of us and the rest of the partygoers. They're purposely avoiding us, apparently, like they might catch some infectious monkey disease if they even came within breathing distance of us.

Addison wasn't exaggerating, apparently.

"Hey, so I'm sure our cheap beers got nothing on your fancy city drinks, but it's all we've really got around here," Ethan says as he approaches us, passing over the invisible line that surrounds us. He hands me a brown bottle and I take it, the glass cool against my palm.

"I think I'll survive. Thanks," I tell him, giving him a full fledged smile.

Taking advantage of the moment he takes a drink of his own, I let my eyes take in his appearance. His brown hair is tousled in that way boys tend to do, that way that makes them look like they've just rolled out of bed. His outfit is simple, worn blue jeans, hiking boots and a dark work jacket; but he still amazing in it.

"So, how are you liking Rock Valley so far, Peyton," Ethan asks, rocking back on his heels.

"It's different," I shrug, popping the top off of the bottle in my hands. "But, I don't hate it yet. So that's a good thing."

"I'd say it is," he chuckles, the light from the fire glinting off his teeth as he grins. "Have you made many friends yet?"

I can't help but laugh. "Not exactly," I snicker, recalling the little scene in the cafeteria, with which Clarissa essentially labelled me a pariah. Not that I care much. "But Eliza and Addison here have been nice enough to put up with me."

I nudge Addy with my hip, putting a smile on her rather solemn face. "Yes, because your skirt obsession and constant cynicism are so hard to put up with," she rolls her eyes sarcastically, nudging me back.

"Good on ya, Turner," Ethan grins, and I don't miss Addison's cheeks growing a shade darker in the fire light. "You know, we're gonna be playing a little game in the barn soon. Do you two wanna join in?"

I finally take a sip of my drink, my face crinkling up just a bit as the bitter taste hit my tongue. I've never been on for beer, but I'll take what I can get. "What kind of game?"